What Is A Hard Shoulder?
- 1 What does it mean to stop on the hard shoulder?
- 2 Do girls like muscular guys?
- 3 What causes hard shoulders?
What do hard shoulders mean?
What is a hard shoulder? – A hard shoulder is an emergency lane that runs along the left-hand side of a motorway carriageway. The division between the hard shoulder and the rest of the motorway is indicated by a solid white line. The standard width for a hard shoulder in the UK is 3.3 metres.
What does it mean to stop on the hard shoulder?
Why are there hard shoulders on motorways? – The hard shoulder is a place to stop your car away from the flow of traffic if you’ve broken down or have an emergency and need to stop your vehicle immediately. It also functions as an emergency lane, in which emergency vehicles can bypass traffic to get to the scene of an accident.
What shoulders are attractive?
(Image credit: Unknown) Broad shoulders Don’t get hung up on carving a solid six-pack, it’ll be hidden under layers of clothing 95 per cent of the time. Instead, work on sculpting broad shoulders. A study by Cambridge University of more than 700 women found broad shoulders were the most attractive male asset.
- Why? Not only do big shoulders make you look strong but the wider you are up top, the thinner you appear at the waist, creating that V-shape that drives her wild.
- Supersets of overhead presses and pull-ups will get you there.
- Stubble Already the standard choice for rock stars and lazy students, a smattering of stubble is more attractive to the fairer sex than clean-shaven faces or full beards, according to a report by psychologists at Northumbria University,
Super-smooth faces ranked last for masculinity and maturity and second to last in attractiveness, so always shave a few days before a night out or first date. Strong arms Muscular men are more attractive to women than overweight or skinny guys, according to research by the University of California,
- That’s because, like the fancy feathers on a male peacock, muscles imply virility.
- Your forearms are the most instantly visible muscles, so target them with reverse barbell curls.
- Smile A study of 4,000 women revealed that women find a man’s smile the most irresistible thing about him.
- To keep your gnashers pearly white, avoid coffee, red wine and cigarettes.
And when you smile at her, look into her eyes, not at her chest. Sign up for workout ideas, training advice, reviews of the latest gear and more. Joe Warner is a highly experienced journalist and editor who began working in fitness media in 2008. He has featured on the cover of Men’s Fitness UK twice and has co-authored Amazon best-sellers including 12-Week Body Plan.
Why is showing shoulders attractive?
It’s teasing to look at a girl who exposes the shoulders, unlike those who expose the cleavage, which is a giveaway already.’ ‘I like the shoulders because it a lady exudes confidence. And I’m a sucker for collarbone exposure.’ ‘Shoulders-a woman gets to show skin without giving too much away.’
When should you use hard shoulder?
You may not be aware but, using the hard shoulder when it is not open to traffic means you are taking a risk and could cause a collision. You should only use the hard shoulder if you have an emergency breakdown and are unable to drive off the motorway at the next junction.
What does SOS mean on a motorway?
Get back on the road safely – Do not exit an emergency area without speaking to National Highways first. We can close the lane to help you re-join the motorway safely. We can also set signs and warn approaching traffic that you’re about to exit an emergency area. Exit left into an emergency area. These are spaced regularly, are painted orange and are marked with blue signs featuring an SOS telephone symbol.
Where should you wait on the hard shoulder?
What happens when you stop on a hard shoulder? – If you must stop on the hard shoulder, you should park to the far left of the road, put your hazard lights and sidelights on to warn other drivers that your vehicle is stationary, then get out of your car using the left-hand door. You should wait behind the barrier until you are ready to leave.
Do girls like chest or shoulders?
Chiseled Chest – As mentioned before in Perett’s book, In Your Face: The New Science of Human Attraction, women show a stronger attraction toward men with a figure consistent with the ideal hunting physique: strong shoulders, narrow waists, and broad chests and shoulders. Tara Moore / Getty
Do girls like guys shoulders?
While the ‘dad bod’ was once seen as the most attractive physique for men, a new study suggests that that may no longer be the case. Research has revealed that men who want to be seen as better looking should build up muscle around the pecs and biceps – although it might not work if they’re short.
According to experts, a higher ‘shoulder-to-hip ratio’ (SHR) – where there’s a bigger circumference around the shoulders than there is around the waist – is a mark of attractiveness. However, men who aren’t very tall may not be able to change a woman’s perception of how attractive they are – even with a lot of built-up muscle, the study suggests.
Building up muscle around the pecs and biceps can help men boost their level of attractiveness – as long as they’re tall. It’s less likely to work for men who are shorter, according to the new study (file photo)
Do girls like muscular guys?
Source: mauphoto/Flickr 1. Muscularity is sexy. In a paper titled ” Why Is Muscularity Sexy? Tests of the Fitness Indicator Hypothesis,” researchers Martie Haselton and David Frederick asked 141 women to rate different male body types. Here are women’s average ratings for each male body type in terms of sexual attractiveness (on a scale of 1 to 9): Built: 6.97 Toned: 6.87 Brawny: 6.37 Slender: 5.42 Typical: 4.28 Chubby: 2.95 In a separate study, women reported that their short-term sexual partners were more muscular than their other partners. Source: Haselton & Frederick/Why Is Muscularity Sexy? Tests of the Fitness Indicator Hypothesis The researchers then asked a group of male participants about their sexual history. Controlling for age and body fat, muscular men reported greater numbers of sexual partners.
Interestingly, the researchers also asked men about their self-esteem, Maybe muscular men simply feel better about themselves. This higher-self esteem could explain their higher sexual success. But the evidence didn’t support this. Muscular men, regardless of their self-esteem, had more sexual partners.
Finally, researchers asked a different group of men, “How many times have you had sex with a woman who had a boyfriend or husband at the time you had sex with her?” Muscular men reported more affairs with women who were in committed relationships.2. Women like muscles; men are intimidated by them.
- Researchers have found that a man’s physical formidability is a better predictor than his attractiveness for how many partners he has had.
- In the study, researchers recorded short videos of 157 different men.
- Next, another group of men watched these videos.
- Researchers asked them a question about each of the men in the videos: “How likely is it that this man would win a physical fight with another man?” They used a scale ranging from “extremely likely” to “extremely unlikely.” A group of women also viewed the videos.
They responded to a question about each of the men: “How sexually attractive is this man?” They used a scale ranging from “extremely unattractive” to “extremely attractive.” Eighteen months later, the men in the videos completed a questionnaire asking about their sexual history over the 18 months.
- How tough a guy looked to men predicted his reported mating success better than how attractive he looked to women.
- The researchers concluded, “Men with higher physical dominance, but not sexual attractiveness, reported higher quantitative mating success.” In fact, some evolutionary psychologists have argued that throughout human history, dominance has been more important than attractiveness for men’s mating success.
Take beards. Evidence is mixed about whether women find beards attractive. Some women like them, others don’t, and for others it depends. But there is clear evidence that men view other men with beards as more intimidating than clean-shaven men. Or take deep voices.
- Women are likely to think deep voices are attractive.
- But in comparison, men are even more likely to think deep voices are intimidating.
- In a widely-cited paper titled, ” Beauty and the beast: mechanisms of sexual selection in humans,” David Puts presents evidence suggesting that male competition has had a stronger effect than female selection on male physical traits.
Male competition has given rise to male traits like strong muscles, deep voices, and facial hair. Men evolved these traits not so much because women find them sexy, but more because other men find them intimidating. Beards, deep voices, masculine faces, and muscularity are rated as more dominant (by men) than attractive (by women) Source: Puts/Beauty and the beast: Mechanisms of sexual selection in humans 3. Muscles are indicators of health and fitness. In a new paper titled ” Men’s Bodily Attractiveness: Muscles as Fitness Indicators,” researchers led by Patrick K.
- Durkee the University of Texas at Austin collected responses from 503 women and 942 men.
- They wanted to estimate women’s and men’s size preferences for each muscle.
- They found that overall, men and women think bigger muscles are more attractive than smaller ones.
- But some muscles are viewed as more important than others.
The top five muscles in order of size preference, as rated by women, include:
Obliques Glutes Abs Biceps Shoulders
Researchers suggest “women prefer muscles that are hard to build to be larger than muscles that are easier to build.” Interestingly, men’s ratings of size preferences were larger than women’s. In other words, men thought bigger muscles were better, while women didn’t have quite the same preferences.
- They wanted big muscles, but not too big.
- This sex difference may be in part due to the findings above revealing that dominance (rated by men) is more important than attractiveness (rated by women) for sexual success.
- Bigger muscles might not be highly attractive to women, but they’re certainly intimidating to male sexual competitors.4.
Muscles attract attention, Both women and men take greater notice of men who look strong. Researchers have found that, with all else equal, people spend more time looking at individuals who look more formidable (strong, able to impose physical costs).
- They suggest that formidability may be a feature of others that the human mind has evolved to detect, in the same way that we have evolved to automatically encode people’s age and sex when we first meet them.
- Furthermore, people can instantly and accurately assess the formidability of others.
- The same group of researchers collected photos of 64 men, as well as measures of their handgrip strength.
Next, they showed shirtless photos of these 64 men to 187 participants. The participants looked at the photos and then provided their ratings of how strong they thought the men were. Researchers found that after viewing each image for only 33 milliseconds (about 0.03 seconds), participants’ ratings of how strong the men looked were correlated with how strong the men actually were, as revealed by their handgrip strength measures.
People instantly and accurately estimated how strong the men were. The researchers suggest, “formidability may begin to influence the course of social interactions almost as soon as they have begun.” 5. Strength correlates with health. In a study on cardiovascular (heart) disease, researchers collected data from 1,104 male firefighters over the course of 10 years.
They found that men who were able to do 40 push-ups or more had a 96 percent reduced risk of heart disease compared with men who could do less than 10 push-ups. Perhaps more surprisingly, push-ups were a stronger predictor of whether a person would get cardiovascular disease than an aerobic treadmill test.40 push-ups are much more than what the typical college-aged male can do.
Why do girls like big arms?
How We Found Out Women Love Triceps – We polled over 6000 women which body part they found most attractive on men. Choices were triceps & biceps, chest, back, legs, butt, abs, and shoulders. These are the results from our survey:
Triceps & Biceps – 29% Chest – 20% Legs – 18% Back – 10% Shoulders – 8% Abs- 7% Butt- 5%
We then broke it down into age demographic to see if there’s a preference based on age. The categories were: Overall, arms are the most loved muscles by women of all ages. Perhaps because of the perception of strength and safety. However, this preference declines with age where larger builds with strong upper bodies and butts seem to increase in preference. Younger women tend to have greater preferences for abs compared to older women while a large chest seems consistent regardless of age.
Do guys like it when a girl lays on their shoulders?
5. Resting your head on his shoulders/chest – Image: Shutterstock Do you enjoy the closeness and warmth of the guy you like? It feels good to rest your head on their chest or shoulder and relax, forgetting all the worries and tiredness of the day. Guys love this feeling too. This small gesture shows you trust him and feel safe with him. Holding you close makes him feel like he is caring and protecting you from the world.
Do girls like wide backs?
Sure, women love a guy with a chiseled six-pack. But that’s not the only body part they check out at the beach (or in bed). And while each woman has a different favorite muscle, these eight (in no particular order) are at the top of every female’s “what I notice” list.
Take a look, then head to the gym and start sculpting. (Or, do your workout right in your living room, with THE 21-DAY METASHRED—an At-Home Body-Shredding Program That Strips Away Fat and Reveals Lean, Hard Muscle.) Powerful Forearms Women see strong forearms and think you can do everything: Fend off a mugger, build a house, and maintain a dexterous touch long enough to leave them extremely satisfied.
So roll up those sleeves, and let ’em have a look. RELATED: The Hottest Words You Can Say to a Woman A Nice Butt Women check out your butt because it’s a clue to your worthiness as a physical specimen. If you’re in great shape, it carries high. Otherwise, your rear end droops like a sack of old potatoes.
- Old, hairy potatoes.
- A Broad Back A wide back is essential for a V-shaped torso, and women’s attraction to it is ancestral.
- When it was important that our mates protect us from woolly mammoths on the plains, we looked for a gene pool that could provide us with protection,” says Pega Ren, Ed.D., a sexologist in British Columbia.
(Looking for a program to crush fat and reveal lean muscle? Try THE 21-DAY METASHRED —one guy lost 25 pounds in just 6 weeks!) Sculpted Shoulders “The shoulder muscles are really the muscles of love and war,” says Nancy Etcoff, Ph.D., author of Survival of the Prettiest,
- They also make the whole look when combined with a broad back.
- Strong shoulders literally sweep women off their feet.
- Rock-Hard Calves “Women want an overall sense of strength and fitness,” says Etcoff.
- If a man looks as if he can lift something but can’t run, it looks disproportionate.” A Big Chest “Women treasure your chest as much as you do theirs,” says Emily Dubberley, a sex expert based in the UK.
“Touching, kissing, and licking a man’s chest is undoubtedly a turn-on for most women.” RELATED: 10 Exercises That Burn More Calories Than Running Large Biceps In a poll of Cosmopolitan readers, 1 out of 5 women confessed that nice biceps on a man makes them “absolutely melt.” Strong Hamstrings Many women prefer being on top because it lets them lean forward to rub against your pubic bone. The editors of Men’s Health are your personal conduit to the top experts in the world on all things important to men: health, fitness, style, sex, and more.
What causes hard shoulders?
Frozen shoulder, which occurs when the muscles, tendons, and ligaments inside the shoulder become stiff, making movement difficult and painful. Overuse or injury of nearby tendons, such as the bicep muscles of the arms. Nerve injury that leads to abnormal shoulder movement. Tears of the rotator cuff tendons.
Is it good to have strong shoulders?
Fitness Tips: Building Strong Shoulders There’s a reason for the expression “You’re carrying a lot on your shoulders.” Because when you must carry a heavy load for an extended period, your shoulders are the part of your body that’s best up to the challenge.
Not that anyone ever wants to carry a heavy load for an extended period—but it’s good to know you’re capable if you have to!) Strong shoulders are important for all kinds of daily activities, not only for lifting and carrying but also when you have to reach or pull. You use your shoulders in pretty much any athletic pursuit as well, particularly if you’re a swimmer, basketball player, or volleyball player, as all three of these sports require extensive, fast arm movement.
Your shoulder joints can be prone to injury as you get older, but building and maintaining muscle around these joints will help prevent injury. Shoulders also serve an important function in the way you carry your body throughout your day. Without strong shoulders, you’ll have trouble standing up straight with good posture.
Should shoulder muscles be hard?
Understand what a muscle SHOULD feel like! – At rest, a muscle should feel squishy, soft and relaxed – similar to raw steak. This is what your back and shoulders should feel like when you are sitting or standing. When exercising, a muscle will begin to work, so it will build some tone. At this stage, it may feel firmer, but you can still squish your fingers into the muscle – similar to cooked steak. What we never want to feel is rock hard muscles. This is an indication of a muscle that is working too hard and is most likely compensating for other muscle groups, or protecting your body against something.
- There are many benefits to having strong shoulders.
- Strong shoulders are beneficial for safely performing everyday tasks such as lifting objects overhead, playing with your kids, playing sports, makes it less likely to injure yourself during exercise, and not to mention you’ll look great in your clothes! I want to help you build strong shoulders safely, effectively and efficiently! STEP 1 – DETERMINE YOUR GOAL AND SET BENCHMARKS To be able to effectively build a successful strength program, a goal is highly important and having benchmarks to shoot for are also highly beneficial to track progress and success.
- Shoulder Press
- Men – Bodyweight
- Women – 75% Bodyweight
- Bench Press
- Men – 1.25 x Bodyweight
- Women – 95% Bodyweight
- Strict Pullup
- Men & Women – 3 consecutive repetitions
- Bent-over Row
- Men – Bodyweight
- Women – 75% Bodyweight
- STEP 3 – DETERMINE HOW MANY TRAINING DAYS PER WEEK YOU’LL COMMIT TO THE PROGRAM Building strong shoulders can be tricky and if done incorrectly can lead to injury.
- To safely improve shoulder strength without causing overuse injuries, I recommend a maximum of two upper body training days per week with one to two recovery days in between.
- STEP 6 – CHOOSE YOUR SETS AND REPS It’s important to approach your training in three different phases.
- First, build a neurological and muscular base, then build muscle, and finally increase strength.
- These phases determine your sets and reps for the program.
- In the muscular and neurological foundation phase your exercises should consist of one to three sets of ten to fifteen reps with long recovery periods in between each set.
- Check out the Boulder Shoulder Sample Program below.
- Find The 14 Week Boulder Shoulder Program here, WHICH IS ON SALE FOR A LIMITED TIME!
What happens if you have strong shoulders?
Building strong shoulders is a common goal for many of our clients at Lincoln Nutrition & Fitness. It’s definitely not an easy task and often feels like an adventurous pursuit of the mythical unicorn. Let’s face it, building strength in the shoulders can be a difficult journey, often progress is slow, tedious and if done incorrectly, can lead to injury.
These are the most common benchmarks and goals we use for determining shoulder strength & health at Lincoln Nutrition & Fitness.
STEP 2 – DETERMINE THE LENGTH OF YOUR TRAINING PROGRAM Shoulder strength takes more time to develop than lower body strength, so you’ll need to be patient and pick a length of time that will be long enough to see results. For a shoulder specific training program I recommend 12 to 16 weeks.
Note – If you’re following a program like CrossFit which is generally more shoulder intensive and varied, ask your coach to modify your CrossFit workouts so you don’t overload your shoulders. STEP 4 – CHOOSE PUSHING EXERCISES When programming a shoulder strength routine, it’s best to choose one vertical pushing exercise and one horizontal pushing exercise to perform once per week.
A shoulder press is an example of a vertical pushing exercise, and the bench press is an example of a horizontal pushing exercise. Including these different pushing angles in your programming helps strengthen your muscles through different planes. STEP 5 – CHOOSE PULLING EXERCISES In order to keep muscular balance, it’s important to compliment pushing exercises with pulling exercises.
Choose one vertical and one horizontal pulling exercise to pair with your vertical pushing and pulling exercise each day. For example, on day one you might choose to perform shoulder presses and strict pull-ups and on day two perform bench presses and bent over rows.
Then in the hypertrophy phase, perform three to four sets of six to twelve reps with moderate recovery between sets. Finally, in the last weeks add strength with more traditional weight training containing four to seven sets of one to five reps with short recovery periods.
Note – this program is intended to be a supplemental program to your current exercise routine. I highly recommend meeting with a personal trainer or a coach to modify your current exercise routine as needed!
Schedule a free goal session with an LNF coach here !
COACH PHIL KNIEP Precision Nutrition L1 Coach CrossFit Level 2 Trainer Endurance Certified Mobility Certified Scaling Certified 3x CrossFit Games Qualifier