Test Championship Points Table 2022
Can India qualify for WTC final 2023?
India will play Australia in the WTC final at The Oval from June 7.This is India’s second successive entry into the WTC final, with the previous one coming in the inaugural cycle in 2021, where they lost to New Zealand.With the Dimuth Karunaratne-led side’s only shot at the WTC final berth hinging on a 2-0 victory against the Kiwis in the away series, the loss for the Islanders ended their hopes of securing a spot. India on Monday qualified for the prestigious World Test Championship (WTC) final after New Zealand defeated Sri Lanka by two wickets in a thrilling last-ball finish in the Christchurch game. India will play Australia in the WTC final at The Oval from June 7.
- This is India’s second successive entry into the WTC final, with the previous one coming in the inaugural cycle in 2021, where they lost to New Zealand.
- With the Dimuth Karunaratne-led side’s only shot at the WTC final berth hinging on a 2-0 victory against the Kiwis in the away series, the loss for the Islanders ended their hopes of securing a spot.
Australia was the first team to secure a WTC final berth after humbling India by nine wickets in the third Test of the Border-Gavaskar series at Indore, leaving the hosts praying for a favourable result in the first Test between New Zealand and Sri Lanka.
The result in Christchurch took the fourth Test of the Border-Gavaskar series in Ahmedabad out of the equation as earlier India had to win the contest to secure the WTC final spot. Australia are sitting atop the WTC table with 68.52 percentage points (PCT). Had Sri Lanka won the Test on Monday and strived for victory in the second match at Wellington, their PCT would have jumped from 53.33 to 61.11 – higher than India’s 60.29 before the start of the fourth Test in Ahmedabad.
In order to take all the scenarios out of the equation, India had to win the Ahmedabad Test – which would have taken their PCT to 62.5 – and retain their second position on the WTC table. But with New Zealand acing a record chase of 285 runs on Monday, thanks to former captain Kane Williamson’s unbeaten 121, Sri Lanka were left ruing their chances.
Which two teams will play WTC final 2023?
WTC 2023 Final, IND vs AUS: After the conclusion of the Indian Premier League, it is obvious that most cricket fans are impatiently waiting for the World Test Championship final, which is scheduled to be played between Australia and India at The Oval Cricket Ground in London between June 7 and June 11.
Who will win WTC 2023?
The final of the 2021–2023 ICC World Test Championship, a Test cricket match, was played from 7 to 11 June 2023 at The Oval, London, between Australia and India. Australia won the match by 209 runs to win the second edition of the ICC World Test Championship. This marked Australia’s maiden win of the Championship.
Can India make WTC final?
How India and Australia qualified for the WTC Final – The ICC World Test Championship is a two-year tournament with nine teams competing for two spots in the WTC Final. Teams are ranked on percentage of WTC points won in eligible Test matches. Australia finished on top of the standings in the WTC 2021-23 cycle with 66.67% of their possible points after gathering 152 points from 19 Tests.
- This included 11 victories and five draws, as Australia won four of their six series played in the WTC cycle.
- The only series Australia lost in the WTC cycle was the last they played when they faced India on the sub-continent and slumped to a 2-1 defeat.
- India were next best in the WTC cycle with 58.8% of their possible points when collecting 127 points in 18 Tests, securing a top-two spot after beating Australia in the four-Test series on home soil and having other results go their way.
They also took out four of the six series played in the WTC cycle and finished with 10 wins and three draws. As well as the pair of WTC 2023 finalists, the other teams competing in the World Test Championship were Bangladesh, England, Pakistan, South Africa, Sri Lanka, West Indies and the inaugural champions New Zealand.
- The teams do not necessarily play the same number of matches in the WTC cycle, but each team played six WTC series – three at home and three away.
- Each Test included in the tournament has 12 points available for a win, with four awarded to each team for a draw, and six to each team for a tie.
- No points are earned from a loss, and teams can lose points for slow over rates.
: Everything you need to know about the ICC World Test Championship Final
Can India qualify for WTC final if they draw?
The 2021-23 cycle of the World Test Championship is down to the final four matches – across three series. And with Australia having booked their place, following the emphatic nine-wicket win in Indore last week, the competition for the final spot is down to two teams.
– The 2021-23 cycle of the World Test Championship is down to the final four matches – across three series. And with Australia having booked their place, following the emphatic nine-wicket win in Indore last week, the competition for the final spot is down to two teams. One of the four matches beginning on Wednesday, in Johannesburg, between South Africa and West Indies, is a dead rubber.
This implies the last spot will de decided based on the result of the Sri Lanka-New Zealand series which begins on the same day as the last and final Border-Gavaskar Trophy series. So where does India chances stand in this equation? India’s captain Rohit Sharma, left, prepares to shake hands with India’s head coach Rahul Dravid (AP) Australia was the frontrunner to seal the spot, heading into the contest against India, after a 2-0 home series win over the Proteas. But two defeats of colossal margins – by an innings and 123 runs in 1st Test and by 6 wickets in 2nd Test -saw India emerge as a frontrunner.
While Australia were written off, India were touted to seal the spot for the second time in a row with a win in Indore. But the tables had turned and Australia bounced back with a win on a raging turner. ALSO READ: Ponting’s out-of-the-box advice for Rohit Sharma, Dravid in view of WTC final: ‘Gill can open, Rahul can potentially.’ The tourists, who remain atop in the WTC points table, sealed their berth with 68.52 PCT.
This is the first time Australia qualified for the WTC final. India stand second on the WTC points table with 60.29 PCT but are yet to make it through to the final with Asian rivals Sri Lanka, placed third, standing as a threat. So here are the scenarios for India to qualify for the WTC Final.1) If India win,they are through, irrespective of the results in the Sri Lanka vs New Zealand series.2) If India draw,their PCT will fall to 52.9 but could still make it through if Sri Lanka fail to whitewash New Zealand.3) If India lose,Rohit and his men would hope New Zealand can avoid a 2-0 loss against Sri Lanka.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR At HT Sports Desk, passionate reporters work round the clock to provide detailed updates from the world of sports. Expect nuanced match reports, previews,reviews, technical analysis based on statistics, the latest social media trends, expert opinions on cricket, football, tennis, badminton, hockey,motorsports, wrestling, boxing, shooting, athletics and much more.
Story Saved New Delhi 0 C Monday, September 18, 2023
How to India enter WTC final 2023?
World Test Championship Final 2023: After drawing the 4th Test match against Australia, the Indian cricket team has two reasons to celebrate — firstly, they retained the Border-Gavaskar Trophy by defeating Australia 2-1, and secondly, they secured a berth in the final of the World Test Championship (WTC).