La Liga Point Table
- 1 Who is number 1 in La Liga?
- 2 Is La Liga bigger than EPL?
- 3 Who has more titles Barca or Madrid?
- 4 Who has won La Liga with 100 points?
- 5 Who are Favourites to win La Liga?
- 6 What is GF in football?
- 7 Why is LaLiga so popular?
- 8 Which English team has beaten Barcelona?
- 9 What is Barcelona’s lowest finish?
- 10 Who is Spain’s highest goal scorer?
- 11 Who has the most goals vs barca?
Who has won the most La Liga in history?
This article is about the top division in men’s Spanish football. For top division in Spanish women’s football, see Liga F, For other uses, see Liga (disambiguation),
|Organising body||Liga Nacional de Fútbol Profesional (LALIGA)|
|Founded||1929 ; 94 years ago|
|Number of teams||20 (since 1997–98 )|
|Level on pyramid||1|
|Relegation to||Segunda División|
|Domestic cup(s)||Copa del Rey Supercopa de España|
|International cup(s)||UEFA Champions League UEFA Europa League UEFA Europa Conference League|
|Current champions||Barcelona (27th title) ( 2022–23 )|
|Most championships||Real Madrid (35 titles)|
|Most appearances||Andoni Zubizarreta Joaquín (622)|
|Top goalscorer||Lionel Messi (474)|
|TV partners||List of broadcasters|
|Current: 2023–24 La Liga|
The Campeonato Nacional de Liga de Primera División, commonly known as the Primera División, or La Liga, and officially LALIGA EA SPORTS since 2023 for sponsorship reasons, is the top men’s professional football division of the Spanish football league system,
Administered by Liga Nacional de Fútbol Profesional, it is contested by 20 teams. Since its inception, a total of 62 teams have competed in La Liga. Nine teams have been crowned champions, with Barcelona winning the inaugural La Liga and Real Madrid winning the title a record 35 times. Barcelona are the most recent winners, having won the 2022–23 edition,
During the 1940s Valencia, Atlético Madrid and Barcelona emerged as the strongest clubs, winning several titles. Real Madrid and Barcelona dominated the championship in the 1950s, each winning four La Liga titles during the decade. During the 1960s and 1970s, Real Madrid dominated La Liga, winning fourteen titles, with Atlético Madrid winning four.
- During the 1980s and 1990s Real Madrid were prominent in La Liga, but the Basque clubs of Athletic Club and Real Sociedad had their share of success, each winning two Liga titles.
- From the 1990s onward, Barcelona have dominated La Liga, winning seventeen titles to date.
- Although Atlético Madrid has been prominent, winning ten titles, La Liga has also seen other champions, including Valencia and Deportivo La Coruña,
According to UEFA ‘s league coefficient rankings, La Liga has been the top league in Europe in each of the seven years from 2013 to 2019 (calculated using accumulated figures from five preceding seasons) and has led Europe for 22 of the 60 ranked years up to 2019, more than any other country.
It has also produced the continent’s top-rated club more times (22) than any other league in that period, more than double that of second-placed Serie A (Italy), including the top club in 10 of the 11 seasons between 2009 and 2019; each of these pinnacles was achieved by either Barcelona or Real Madrid.
La Liga clubs have won the most UEFA Champions League (19), UEFA Europa League (14), UEFA Super Cup (16) and FIFA Club World Cup (8) titles, and its players have accumulated the highest number of Ballon d’Or awards (24), The Best FIFA Men’s Player awards (19) and UEFA Men’s Player of the Year awards (12).
- La Liga is one of the most popular professional sports leagues globally, with an average attendance of 26,933 for league matches in the 2018–19 season.
- This is the eighth-highest of any domestic professional sports league in the world and the third-highest of any professional association football league in the world, behind fellow big five leagues Bundesliga and Premier League, and above Serie A and Ligue 1,
La Liga is also the seventh wealthiest professional sports league in the world by revenue, after the NFL, MLB, the NBA, the Premier League, the NHL, and the Bundesliga, From 2008 to 2016, it was sponsored by Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria and known as Liga BBVA,
Who is number 1 in La Liga?
Is La Liga bigger than EPL?
Between La Liga and the Premier League, it’s a close call between which league is more popular. The Premier League probably edges it with a higher global reach, however La Liga includes two of the most historically popular and successful clubs of all time.
Who has more titles Barca or Madrid?
How many times have Real Madrid and Barcelona won the Copa del Rey? – If you’re thinking that Real Madrid are fairly far ahead at this stage, then you’d be right. But this is where Barcelona close the gap. The Catalans have won the Copa del Rey a record 31 times, with Madrid languishing behind on just 20 (I know what you’re thinking Real Madrid fans, you’d rather win more leagues and Champions Leagues than Copas del Rey).
Who has won La Liga with 100 points?
Ciy’s seven Premier League records – In addition, nobody can claim to have matched their tally of 106 goals that earned a goal difference of +79 and produced a 19-point gap between themselves and second-placed Manchester United, whom they have led for 240 days. City’s 100 points is unprecedented in the Premier League but has been achieved twice in LaLiga, first by Jose Mourinho’s 2011/12 Real Madrid who notched an unmatched 121 goals in the process, and a season later by Tito Vilanova’s Barcelona side. The Blaugrana won 18 of their opening 19 games that year with Lionel Messi at his absolute best. Juventus have now won seven Serie A titles in a row and that run includes the 102 point haul produced by Antonio Conte in 2013/14. Winning every home game, the Old Lady scooped 33 victories of a possible 38 while clearing the total they won when going the whole campaign unbeaten two years previous.
Martin O’Neill’s side were dominant in 2001/02, lifting the Scottish Premier League with a whopping 103 points that Henrik Larsson spearheaded with 29 goals, aided by strike partner John Hartson’s 19. Down in the Welsh top-flight, Barry Town secured over 100 points in both the 1996/97 and 1997/98 campaigns.
In both seasons the south coast club finished with goal differences of +103 with 105 points secured in 1997 and 104 a year later. While City have the most points for a top-flight season, Reading have gone six better with their English Football League record of 106 in 2005/06.
Is La Liga still the best league?
The Liga BBVA, the strongest league in the world The International Federation of Football History and Statistics (IFFHS) has named the Liga BBVA as the strongest domestic league in the world for a fourth consecutive year. The top five of the ranking also includes the Premier League in second place, the Bundesliga in third place, the Italian Serie A in fourth and the Brazilian Serie A in fifth.
- The Liga BBVA retains its 2013 crown thanks to last year’s extraordinary performances by the championship’s three best clubs – Real Madrid, Atlético Madrid and Barcelona – both in the domestic competition as well as on the European stage.
- The IFFHS calculates the ranking on the results clubs pick up both domestically and internationally.
The Premier League returns to second in the table, relegating the Brazilian League to fifth, while the Bundesliga stays in third place due to the fact that two German teams made it to the final of the UEFA Champions League. : The Liga BBVA, the strongest league in the world
Who are Favourites to win La Liga?
Who Will Win La Liga in 2023-24? – It’s no real surprise that Real Madrid and Barcelona are the two favourites to battle it out for the title next season. Regardless of what Xavi did last year, namely winning the league by 10 points, the supercomputer gives Real Madrid the nod.
Madrid have lost Karim Benzema but they signed Bellingham to build around and have enough talent to win the league in 47.7% of the 10,000 simulations we ran. Barcelona have lost Ousmane Dembélé, Sergio Busquets and Jordi Alba, and there are still some outstanding questions we’d like answered heading into the season.
They added Ilkay Gündogan, Iñigo Martínez and Oriol Romeu but they need more reinforcements if they are to convince the supercomputer to increase the 25.9% it currently gives them of retaining the title. Atlético have a 19.3% chance of winning a third crown under Diego Simeone.
What is GF in football?
Goal For (GF) : It is the number of goals scored by a team. Goal Against(GA) : It is the number of goals scored against them by their opponents. The difference between Goal For and Goal Against is known as Goal Difference(GD).
How rich is Premier League?
EPL Franchise Valuations Ranking List: From Manchester United to Bournemouth The average Premier League club is worth $1.51 billion, according to data compiled by Sportico, ranks first at $5.95 billion, while Bournemouth ranks last at $145 million. Below are the values of the league’s 20 clubs, which are collectively worth more than $30 billion.
- To derive the market value of the 20 Premier League franchises, Sportico calculated each team’srevenue, relying on publicly available information and financial records.
- Revenue totals were subject toa team-specific multiplier, which remains the standard metric for valuing sports teams in transactions.Earnings can have dramatic fluctuations from year to year, based on player spending and special expenses.
We conducted interviews with those knowledgeable of team finances, including 10 sports bankers andattorneys who actively work on soccer transactions. We traded candor for anonymity. This information
- was vetted by multiple teams, industry experts and investors.
- The team-specific multipliers were based on multiple factors, including: historical sales, market (size,saturation and interest by prospective owners), strength of brand, on-field performance (historical andrecent), terms of facility lease, debt burden and additional obligations, as well as expected future team
- and league economics.
The threat of relegation results in a dramatically larger spread in revenue multiples than in U.S. sportsleagues. Multiples ranged from 1.25 times revenue for multiple teams, like Brentford, to 8 for
- Manchester United.
- Given the business disruption caused by the coronavirus pandemic during the 2019-20 and 2020-21seasons, we utilized the last three full seasons of revenue (2018-19, 2020-21 and 2021-22) andapplied the multiples to that average as a baseline. We adjusted the totals for clubs that were in the
- EFL Championship during any of those seasons.
: EPL Franchise Valuations Ranking List: From Manchester United to Bournemouth
Why is LaLiga so popular?
Bolstered by LaLiga Impulso, clubs from Spain’s premier domestic soccer league are engaging with audiences in the US as soccer’s popularity grows. – Soccer’s popularity in the United States is greater than ever. Driven by a convergence of factors including but not limited to the popularity of domestic leagues like MLS, NWSL, and USL; more American stars playing for some of the biggest clubs domestically and abroad; a growing Spanish-speaking population; the sport’s appeal to younger, more diverse and digital savvy demographics; soccer documentaries and shows including Ted Lasso ; and the increased access to the global game on TV, streaming platforms, and social media, the beautiful game is being appreciated and engaged with more than ever in the US where (American) football reigns supreme.
- With club valuations and media rights deals increasing at an astronomical rate, it’s no surprise many foreign soccer leagues, clubs, and players want a piece of the US sports market.
- That’s especially true for LaLiga, which secured a $1.4 billion media rights deal with ESPN to broadcast Spain’s premier domestic league in English and Spanish across the U.S.
through the 2028-29 season. “Growing in the US is of great priority to us,” Valencia CF head of international business Sandra Schroeder told Boardroom. “The US is one of the three markets which we have identified as what we call Tier 1 countries in our international strategy to focus our efforts on and achieve sustainable growth in number of fans, TV audience, members of our Socio’s VCF program, and sales of merchandise amongst others.
Which English team has beaten Barcelona?
On this day in 2007, Liverpool went to the Camp Nou and beat Barcelona in the last 16 of the Champions League.
Who scored 50 goals in La Liga?
Visualisation and analysis of the 50 league goals scored in a single season by the football GOAT, Lionel Messi. – Left hand side has interactivity options as well as overall analysis of the goals. – Right hand side shows each of the goals scored in order with the immediate build up and the finish visualised on a pitch map.
Credits Award Information is Beautiful Awards 2022 Categories
Longlist Leisure, Games & Sport
See more public.tableau.com
What is Barcelona’s lowest finish?
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Barcelona team in 1903 Futbol Club Barcelona is a professional association football club based in Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain. The club was founded in 1899 by a group of Swiss, Catalan, German, and English footballers led by Joan Gamper, and played its first friendly match on 8 December 1899.
- Initially, Barcelona played against other local clubs in various Catalan tournaments, but in 1929 the club became one of the founding members of La Liga, Spain’s first national league.
- As of 2023, Barcelona is one of only three clubs to have never been relegated from the top level of Spanish football, the others being Athletic Bilbao and Real Madrid,
In the period from 1919 to 1929, Barça won the Copa del Rey five times and the Campionat de Catalunya nine times. Barcelona enjoyed a successful start in La Liga, winning the championship in the competition’s first season, However, they did not win the league again until 1945,
Three seasons prior to that, Barcelona finished twelfth, which remains, as of 2022, the club’s lowest league finish. Barcelona won five trophies in the 1951–52 season, becoming known as “Barça of the Five Cups” ( Catalan : el Barça de les Cinc Copes ), and went on to win La Liga three times, the Copa del Rey five times and the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup once during the 1950s.
The club then entered a lean spell, with only two league titles between 1960 and 1990. In 1988, former legendary player Johan Cruyff was appointed manager and assembled what would later be known as the “Dream Team”. In 1991, he led the club to its first league title in six years and repeated the feat the following season when Barça also won the European Cup for the first time.
- In the 1993–94 season, Barcelona won their fourth consecutive league title, edging out Deportivo de La Coruña on goal difference after the two clubs finished level on points.
- Newly elected president Joan Laporta ‘s appointment of Frank Rijkaard as coach and the signing of Ronaldinho in 2003 marked the beginning of another spell of sustained success.
In 2005, Barcelona once again won La Liga championship, and retained it the following season, In May 2006, Barcelona defeated Arsenal in the Champions League final, coming back from 0–1 to win 2–1 in the last fifteen minutes. Three years later, the club beat Manchester United 2–0 in the 2009 Champions League final, having already won La Liga and the Copa del Rey that season, to become the first Spanish side to complete the treble,
In December 2009, Barcelona won the Club World Cup, having also won the Spanish and European Super Cups, thereby completing an unprecedented sextuple, The club has won La Liga championship 27 times, the Copa del Rey 31 times, the Copa de la Liga twice, the Supercopa de España fourteen times, the Copa Eva Duarte three times, the Champions League five times, the Cup Winners’ Cup four times, the Fairs Cup three times, the Super Cup five times and the Club World Cup three times.
The table details the club’s achievements in the early regional championships and in all national and international first-team competitions for each completed season since the club’s formation in 1899.
Who is Spain’s highest goal scorer?
David Villa is Spain’s all-time leading scorer with a tally of 59 goals.
Why is it called El Clásico?
What does El Clasico mean? – El Clasico is the name given to any game between bitter rivals Real Madrid and Barcelona. It is a Spanish term which translates to ‘The Classic’ in English and is known in Catalan as El Classic, Matches involving Real Madrid and Barcelona – Spain’s biggest and most successful clubs – are deemed to be the pinnacle of Spanish football, hence the idea that it is the country’s ‘classic’ encounter.
In a more abstract sense, El Clasico has come to mean much more than just the on-pitch showdown between Barcelona and Real Madrid, since it is a striking symbol of Spain’s infamous Civil War divide. Real Madrid’s match against city rivals Atletico is sometimes referred to El Otro Clasico, meaning ‘The Other Classic’ in English – a name which serves to emphasise its secondary nature in the scale of derbies.
Return to top
Who has the most goals vs barca?
Most goals in El Clasico
|Alfredo Di Stefano||Real Madrid||18|
|Cristiano Ronaldo||Real Madrid||18|
What is the fastest goal in La Liga history?
1- Joseba Llorente (7.8 seconds) – In 2008, Valladolid’s Joseba Llorente etched his name in history by scoring the fastest goal in La Liga history against Espanyol. Llorente capitalized on a long pass from Victor and deftly clipped the ball over the keeper to register a goal only 7.8 seconds into the match.
Has Barcelona ever gotten 100 points?
FC Barcelona – 100 points. Season 2012/2013 (1º).
Who won more La Liga Messi or Ronaldo?
Cristiano Ronaldo vs Lionel Messi career goals –
However, Lionel Messi has won more trophies than Cristiano Ronaldo across various football competitions for club and country. While Messi has claimed 42 trophies in his career, Ronaldo has clinched 34 titles so far. Messi’s 42 trophies include ten La Liga titles, seven Copa del Rey titles, four UEFA Champions Leagues and the Copa America title.
How many times Ronaldo won La Liga?
In this Portuguese name, the first or maternal family name is dos Santos and the second or paternal family name is Aveiro,
|Ronaldo with Portugal at the 2022 FIFA World Cup|
|Full name||Cristiano Ronaldo dos Santos Aveiro|
|Date of birth||5 February 1985 (age 38)|
|Place of birth||Funchal, Madeira, Portugal|
|Height||1.87 m (6 ft 2 in)|
|Current team||Al Nassr|
|Years||Team||Apps||( Gls )|
|2002–2003||Sporting CP B||2||(0)|
|International career ‡|
|2003–||Portugal||201||( 123 )|
Cristiano Ronaldo dos Santos Aveiro GOIH ComM ( Portuguese pronunciation: ; born 5 February 1985) is a Portuguese professional footballer who plays as a forward for and captains both Saudi Pro League club Al Nassr and the Portugal national team, Widely regarded as one of the greatest players of all time, Ronaldo has won five Ballon d’Or awards, a record three UEFA Best Player in Europe, and four European Golden Shoes, the most by a European player.
- He has won 33 trophies in his career, including seven league titles, five UEFA Champions Leagues, the UEFA European Championship and the UEFA Nations League,
- Ronaldo holds the records for most appearances (183), goals (140) and assists (42) in the Champions League, goals in the European Championship (14), international goals (123) and international appearances (200).
He is one of the few players to have made over 1,100 professional career appearances, and has scored over 800 official senior career goals for club and country, making him the highest goalscorer of all time, Ronaldo began his senior career with Sporting CP, before signing with Manchester United in 2003, winning the FA Cup in his first season.
- He would also go on to win three consecutive Premier League titles, the Champions League and the FIFA Club World Cup ; at age 23, he won his first Ballon d’Or.
- Ronaldo was the subject of the then- most expensive association football transfer when he signed for Real Madrid in 2009 in a transfer worth €94 million (£80 million).
He became a key contributor and formed an attacking trio with Karim Benzema and Gareth Bale which was integral to the team winning four Champions League wins from 2014 to 2018, including La Décima, During this period, he won back-to-back Ballons d’Or in 2013 and 2014, and again in 2016 and 2017, and was runner-up three times behind Lionel Messi, his perceived career rival,
- He also became the club’s all-time top goalscorer and the all-time top scorer in the Champions League, and finished as the competition’s top scorer for six consecutive seasons between 2012 and 2018.
- With Real, Ronaldo won four Champions Leagues, two La Liga titles, two Copas del Rey, two UEFA Super Cups and three Club World Cups.
In 2018, he signed for Juventus in a transfer worth an initial €100 million (£88 million), the most expensive transfer for an Italian club and for a player over 30 years old. He won two Serie A titles, two Supercoppa Italiana trophies and a Coppa Italia, became the inaugural Serie A Most Valuable Player and became the first footballer to finish as top scorer in the English, Spanish and Italian leagues.
He returned to Manchester United in 2021, finishing his only full season as the club’s top scorer, before his contract was terminated in 2022. In 2023, he signed for Al Nassr. Ronaldo made his international debut for Portugal in 2003 at the age of 18 and has since earned 200 caps, making him both the country and history’s most-capped player of all time, recognized by the Guinness World Records,
With more than 100 goals at international level, he is also the sports all-time top goalscorer, Ronaldo has played in and scored at eleven major tournaments; he scored his first international goal at Euro 2004, where he helped Portugal reach the final,
- He assumed captaincy of the national team in July 2008.
- In 2015, Ronaldo was named the best Portuguese player of all time by the Portuguese Football Federation,
- The following year, he led Portugal to their first major tournament title at Euro 2016, and received the Silver Boot as the second-highest goalscorer of the tournament.
This achievement would see him receive his fourth Ballon d’Or, He also led them to victory in the inaugural UEFA Nations League in 2019, receiving the top scorer award in the finals, and later received the Golden Boot as top scorer of Euro 2020, One of the world’s most marketable and famous athletes, Ronaldo was ranked the world’s highest-paid athlete by Forbes in 2016, 2017, and 2023, and the world’s most famous athlete by ESPN from 2016 to 2019.
How many La Liga has Messi won?
|Messi with Argentina at the 2022 FIFA World Cup|
|Full name||Lionel Andrés Messi|
|Date of birth||24 June 1987 (age 36)|
|Place of birth||Rosario, Santa Fe, Argentina|
|Height||1.70 m (5 ft 7 in)|
|Position(s)||Forward, attacking midfielder|
|Current team||Inter Miami|
|1995–2000||Newell’s Old Boys|
|Years||Team||Apps||( Gls )|
|International career ‡|
|2005–||Argentina||176||( 104 )|
Lionel Andrés Messi ( Spanish pronunciation: i ; born 24 June 1987), also known as Leo Messi, is an Argentine professional footballer who plays as a forward for and captains both Major League Soccer club Inter Miami and the Argentina national team,
- Regarded as one of the greatest players of all time, Messi has won a record seven Ballon d’Or awards and a record six European Golden Shoes, and in 2020 he was named to the Ballon d’Or Dream Team,
- Until leaving the club in 2021, he had spent his entire professional career with Barcelona, where he won a club-record 34 trophies, including ten La Liga titles, seven Copa del Rey titles and the UEFA Champions League four times.
With his country, he won the 2021 Copa América and the 2022 FIFA World Cup, A prolific goalscorer and creative playmaker, Messi holds the records for most goals in La Liga (474), most hat-tricks in La Liga (36) and the UEFA Champions League (eight), and most assists in La Liga (192) and the Copa América (17).
He also has the most international goals by a South American male (104). Messi has scored over 800 senior career goals for club and country, and has the most goals by a player for a single club (672). Messi relocated to Spain from Argentina aged 13 to join Barcelona, for whom he made his competitive debut aged 17 in October 2004.
He established himself as an integral player for the club within the next three years, and in his first uninterrupted season in 2008–09 he helped Barcelona achieve the first treble in Spanish football; that year, aged 22, Messi won his first Ballon d’Or,
- Three successful seasons followed, with Messi winning four consecutive Ballons d’Or, making him the first player to win the award four times.
- During the 2011–12 season, he set the La Liga and European records for most goals scored in a single season, while establishing himself as Barcelona’s all-time top scorer,
The following two seasons, Messi finished second for the Ballon d’Or behind Cristiano Ronaldo (his perceived career rival ), before regaining his best form during the 2014–15 campaign, becoming the all-time top scorer in La Liga and leading Barcelona to a historic second treble, after which he was awarded a fifth Ballon d’Or in 2015,
Messi assumed captaincy of Barcelona in 2018, and won a record sixth Ballon d’Or in 2019. Out of contract, he signed for French club Paris Saint-Germain in August 2021, spending two seasons at the club and winning Ligue 1 twice. Messi joined American club Inter Miami in July 2023, winning the Leagues Cup in August of that year.
An Argentine international, Messi is the country’s all-time leading goalscorer and also holds the national record for appearances, At youth level, he won the 2005 FIFA World Youth Championship, finishing the tournament with both the Golden Ball and Golden Shoe, and an Olympic gold medal at the 2008 Summer Olympics,
- His style of play as a diminutive, left-footed dribbler drew comparisons with his compatriot Diego Maradona, who described Messi as his successor,
- After his senior debut in August 2005, Messi became the youngest Argentine to play and score in a FIFA World Cup ( 2006 ), and reached the final of the 2007 Copa América, where he was named young player of the tournament.
As the squad’s captain from August 2011, he led Argentina to three consecutive finals: the 2014 FIFA World Cup, for which he won the Golden Ball, the 2015 Copa América, winning the Golden Ball, and the 2016 Copa América, After announcing his international retirement in 2016, he reversed his decision and led his country to qualification for the 2018 FIFA World Cup, a third-place finish at the 2019 Copa América, and victory in the 2021 Copa América, while winning the Golden Ball and Golden Boot for the latter.
- For this achievement, Messi received a record-extending seventh Ballon d’Or in 2021.
- In 2022, he led Argentina to win the 2022 FIFA World Cup, where he won a record second Golden Ball, scored seven goals including two in the final, and broke the record for most games played at the World Cup (26).
- Messi has endorsed sportswear company Adidas since 2006.
According to France Football, he was the world’s highest-paid footballer for five years out of six between 2009 and 2014, and was ranked the world’s highest-paid athlete by Forbes in 2019 and 2022. Messi was among Time ‘ s 100 most influential people in the world in 2011, 2012 and 2023.
How many La Ligas has Barca won?
FC Barcelona Spanish sports club association This article is about the men’s football team. For the women’s team, see, For the basketball team, see, For other uses, see, Not to be confused with, Football club Barcelona Full nameFutbol Club BarcelonaNickname(s) Barça or Blaugrana (team) Culers or Barcelonistes (supporters) Blaugranes or Azulgranas (supporters)Founded29 November 1899 ; 123 years ago ( 1899-11-29 ) as Foot-Ball Club Barcelona StadiumCapacity54,367 PresidentHead coachLeague, 1st of 20 (champions)Website
Futbol Club Barcelona ( Catalan pronunciation: ), commonly referred to as Barcelona and colloquially known as Barça ( ), is a professional based in,, that competes in, the top flight of, Founded in 1899 by a group of Swiss, Catalan, German, and English footballers led by, the club has become a symbol of Catalan culture and, hence the motto “Més que un club” ( “More than a club” ).
- Unlike many other football clubs, the own and operate Barcelona.
- It is the third-most valuable sports team in the world, worth $5.51 billion, and the football club in terms of revenue, with an annual turnover of €582.1 million.
- The official Barcelona anthem is the “”, written by Jaume Picas and,
- Barcelona traditionally play in dark shades of blue and stripes, hence nicknamed Blaugrana,
Domestically, Barcelona has won a record 77 trophies: 27, 31, 14, three, and two titles, as well as being the record holder for the latter four competitions. In, the club has won 22 European and worldwide titles: five titles, a record four, a joint record five, a record three, a joint record two, and three,
- Barcelona was ranked first in the Club World Ranking for 1997, 2009, 2011, 2012 and 2015, and occupies the ninth position on the as of May 2023,
- The club has a long-standing rivalry with, and matches between the two teams are referred to as,
- Barcelona is one of the most widely supported teams in the world, and the club has one of the largest social media following in the world among sports teams.
Barcelona players have won a record twelve awards, with recipients including, as well as a record seven awards, with winners including,, and, In 2010, three players who came through the (, and ) were chosen as the three best players in the world in the awards, an unprecedented feat for players from the same football academy.
- Additionally, players representing the club have won a record eight awards.
- Barcelona is one of three founding members of the that have from the top division since its inception in, along with and,
- In 2009, Barcelona became the first Spanish club to win the consisting of,, and the, and also became the first Spanish football club to win six out of six competitions in a single year, by also winning the,, and,
In 2011, the club became European champions again, winning five trophies. This Barcelona team, which won fourteen trophies in just four years under, is considered by some in the sport to be the greatest team of all time. By winning their fifth Champions League trophy in under, Barcelona became the first European football club in history to achieve the continental treble twice.