What Is The Role Of Youth In Education?
The writer says the youth can make the nation proud An American motivational speaker, Denis Waitley, once said, “There are two primary choices in life; (1) to accept conditions as they exit and (2) to accept responsibility of changing them. Now, if you accept the initial, you then settle to be a passive being, which is evil.
If you accept the later, then you are in for action. Of course, there are possibilities for failure and Nelson Mandela admonishes that the greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time you fall, and I totally agree with Mandela. According to Zig Ziglar, “Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive of what could go right.” These are two things to consider.
Do you want to be the passive being; accepting the status quo or you want to accept the responsibility in shaping the status quo? Well I challenge you to embrace the later. The world, and for that matter Ghana, is full of young people and let me emphasize that, for statistical purpose, the United Nation in (2011) defines youth as individuals between the ages of 15 and 24.
Reference from Population facts: youth population trends and sustainable development in 2015 captures, there were 1.2 billion youth aged 15 – 24 years globally. The fact is this, in Africa, the population of youth is growing rapidly. About 226 million youth aged 15 – 24 lived in Africa accounting for 19 percent of the global youth population.
By 2030, it is projected that the population of youth in Africa will increase by 42 percent. According to the World Factbook – Central Intelligence Agency, Ghana has a young age structure, with approximately 57% of the population under the age of 25. The Okaikoi Youth forms part of this percentage but what has been our service to the constituency to prove ourselves capable of leadership or as worthy Constituents.
Today, there is the Vigilantism and Related Offences Act, 2019 banning Vigilantism in Ghana: but if still there are such faceless agenda-pushers in our community, shall we the Youth stand the test of time, or be swept away by the current of vigilantism? There is nothing wrong projecting your party but let us do that in harmony.
What can we do as Youth? I promise on my honor to be faithful and loyal to Ghana my motherland. Are we being faithful when we take over pedestrian walk ways and turn them into markets? Is this how we pay loyalty to our motherland when we illegally carry ballot boxes? Do we hold our country in high esteem when we wake up and all we hear is profane communication on the media and keep mute thereon? As Okaikoi Youth Parliament, what are some of the motions you debate on.
Are they for improvement/ development of the Youth or they are just for fun? To the best of my recollections, in one of my presentations, I stated that, there are forces that drive the economy of each country and the Youth is a force to reckon with in that regard. That is one of the reasons why the saying goes that, “The Youth is a great asset to every country.
However, what have we to prove? Take a close look at our inner Cities/Towns and I guess you would not miss the following: (1) Filth (as a result of indiscriminate littering/dumping of refuse), (2) Disobedience to traffic regulations by road users, (3) Turning of pedestrian walk ways into markets, (4) Electoral violence/offences.
Our Nation needs the youth to resolve most of her problems, and we believe that the youth are capable of helping solve them. Like Jack Ma’s view, “Young people are the solutions for tomorrow; the Young people are the solution for all the worries – if you stay with them, you will be full of energy. On 11th May 2020, a Non-for-Profit Youth Organization in Nepal organized a National webinar on the topic “Role of the Youth in Achieving SDGs”.
During the webinar, Mr. Sudip Aryal, Head of field officer at UNDP-Nepal encourage the Youth to participate in the planning and policy-making process of all aspect to ensure concerns of Youth are also incorporated in the policies. Listen to this, at the webinar, Ms Binita Karki, Youth Program Officer at UNDP-Nepal reiterate on Youth issues like Youth & Employment, Youth & Migration, Youth & Participation, Youth & Peacebuilding and Youth & Resilience.
- That is why ‘Youth for Education’ must be heard.
- Regardless of what you have heard before, the vision of our country lies in the hands of the Youth and it will be a great loss of human resource if the youth are not given the space to exercise their God-given talents.
- This beautiful land of ours needs the Youth in order for our toil to become a brighter one.
The intelligence & work of the Youth will take our country on the pathway of success. The ‘Youth for Education’ primary role is to champion good education of the Youth in order to become responsible citizens for tomorrow. We must believe the youthful age is an age of dreams, discovery, and unity.
Sexism & Racism is an ongoing tassel around the world. Discrimination among ethnic groups hence ethnocentrism. Individuals are fighting against each other because of different political ideologies. Region is another issue; we the youth can convince our fellow men to live in peace & love. We all are one and we should not compromise on these little differences to sway us apart from each other.
Are we paying back the big Six, George Alfred Grant with chaos? We didn’t meet these personalities but we mention their name because of their sacrifices they made. What legacy are living by, how do you want people to remind you when your name is been mentioned.
If we sit idea and put up a passive act, our children in future would question us that where were we when our resources were misused, where were we when our leaders where passing out these policies, questions that we might not be able to answer and they will blame us. We are optimistic that the youth have influence on their fellow young people and that is why the Youth for Education must be heard give an opportunity to expose our traits to the world and make the youth populace into some honorable folks.
Whilst life has been gifted to us by our maker, there is a better tomorrow ahead of all the young people, there is still a chance to print our foot & and shake the status quo making positive legacy in quest of time. With the can-do spirit, let strive to be the best always in any sphere of where and how life treat us.
Let’s make a remarkable history, a history that the next generation would always wish to observed. We can make our nation proud. We can make a flourishing Ghana. It is no single doubt that, we have aspiring Accountants, Entrepreneurs, Lawyers, Doctors, Scientist and who knows, we have the next Kofi Anna, Kwame Nkrumah, Jerry John Rawlings, John Agyekum Kuffour, the spirit of Nelson Mandela, Professor Lumumba and the likes.
The youth for Education believes the stronger the youth, the more developed the nation is. Why do we people aspire a living in areas like East Legon, Tarasco, are we different from those people living there? Your answer is good as me. We are fighters, fighting for an identity in society, equality, accessibility, poverty and other necessities of what the world faces.
- We cannot make do without the young people of the country.
- Let me repeat that again, we cannot make do without the youth of the country and for this the Youth for Education calls onto all young folks whom are challenged to join us hand in hand to make a joint effort for a positive impact.
- To the youth, now is not the time to blame our parent for their misfortune.
Yes, they invited us to this world. They owe us nothing. They probably might have done the best they know how to do. If we think their best is not enough, youth then let get out and make the life we want. In ending my remarks, let me leave you with one thought that I hope will be with you well beyond this season and it in the Holy Scriptures, the book of Acts chapter 5:6, just a phrase; AND THE YOUNG MEN AROSE.
- Arise to going forward to change the status quo, the nation and the world at large.
- Arise to change the stereotypes.
- Arise to change the negative perception about the young people, arise and write letters to the assembly for sponsorship and other equipment to educate the people on sanitation.
- Arise and write letters to the assembly to fix CCTV on our streets to arrest others that break the rules of the traffic lights to sever as detriment to others arise and make our nation great and strong.
Aluta Continua till the youth for education are heard!! We have a dream. Together the youth for education believes we have a dream.
View complete answer
- 1 What is the most important role of the youth?
- 2 What are the six importance of youth empowerment?
- 3 How can education empower youth?
- 4 What is the purpose of the empowerment of youth?
- 5 What is the most important skill for a youth?
Why is it important to educate the youth?
Education is important in eradicating poverty and hunger and in promoting sustained, inclusive and equitable economic growth and sustainable development. Increased efforts towards education accessibility, quality and affordability are central to global development efforts.
View complete answer
What is the most important role of the youth?
Magdany Acosta Gallardo, 18 years old – Young people not only represent the future of our country, we are one of society’s main agents of change and progress. We have a great effect on economic development too. In this stage of our lives, we build many social relationships and develop a personality that defines us as a new generation.
View complete answer
What is the role and responsibility of youth?
The role of youth in society A youth is any person between the age of 15 years and 30 years regardless of the gender. Unfortunately, the youth are the backbone of a society and hence they determine the future of any given society. This is because all other age groups, the kids, teenagers, middle aged and the senior citizens rely on the youth and expect a lot from them.
This makes the youth to be an important age group in both today’s society and the future society than other age groups.Therefore, due to the high dependence on youth in the society, we the youth have a role to play because the future of our families, communities and the country lies in our hands. The role of the youth is simply to renew, refresh and maintain.
Youth have a role to renew and refresh the current status of our society including leadership, innovations, skills etc. Youth are expected to advance the current technology, education, politics, peace of the country. On the other hand, youths have also to maintain the culture of our culture, all good values in the societies, development projects, etc. Importance of youth Youth is the backbone of any nation. Youth can play an important role in the development of the society. Pakistan currently is the largest generation of young people ever recorded in its history as 64% of the total population was below the age of 30, and 29% between the ages of 15–30 years.
This is the important segment of the society and youth can play a vital role in the development of the country. But this young and able workforce is not being given their chance to shine. Unfortunately there is lack of opportunities, professional training institutes, awareness for youth in the country.
Educated youth is unemployed, they are unable to participate in the country’s development because there is no quality education, and textbooks, policies, and curriculum differ across the country. There is no proper training institute in the country where student can get professional training for their careers.
- Youth is now becoming a depressed segment of society, there are degrees but no jobs, there are universities but no professional education, there are schools but different education systems between elite and poor, there is a government but not a proper policy as to how they can solve these issues.
- Government should realize the situation and take quick measures to save the future of the nation.
Otherwise situation may make the youth choose more destructive paths that will be detrimental to our society. What are the responsibilities of youth? Youth has a very important role to play for society. For that we need to know why youth are so special.
Reproduce: reproduction here does not mean increasing the population but it means that they full fill the position left by the elder. Like son takes up the position of father in a company. Protection: Youth are expected to protect their culture and tradition while at the same time makes it better and embrace changes in the society. For instance it is youth only who becomes a part of political movement for a major change in a country. They becomes a part of armed forces too, to safeguard the freedom of people and so on Growth: The growth of a country in all the spheres like Social, political and economic spheres mostly depends on youth only. They with a fresh energy can perform better and ensure the growth of society.
There are many other roles of youth in the society. They are like the leading character of a movie. Youth also need to take care of old ones who are now going to be dependent. : The role of youth in society
View complete answer
What are the importance of youth role in community?
Youth involvement in community planning, decision making, and action hasn’t received a lot of attention in the past, but youth are becoming increasingly involved in community development. Youth collaboration can benefit community nonprofit organizations, volunteer programs, and nongovernmental organizations in the following ways:
Youth can be an effective planning and evaluation resource. Younger members can help long-term community efforts because they’re in a position to become long-term contributors. Involved youth can help organizations become more aware of issues that concern younger populations, which can increase an organization’s impact.
Not only do community organizations benefit when they collaborate with youth, this collaboration also helps youth themselves. Community participation helps youth become empathetic citizens who could potentially continue similar work when they become adults.
Give youth an opportunity to contribute and offer their input. Allow active collaboration between adults and youth—integrate youth into committees with adults who can act as mentors. Form relationships with teachers who engage youth in community concerns to increase youth involvement. Connect youth to policy efforts by including them in the assessment of current policies and potential policies. Encourage youth to identify their own interests and activities where they can make positive changes. Allow youth to confront serious social problems and become active community citizens. Evaluate youth involvement efforts on a regular basis to identify and capitalize on strengths, identify and address weaknesses, and help gain more meaningful youth participation.
Youth are a valuable resource for organizations and groups involved in community development. By encouraging and allowing opportunities for adult-youth-collaboration, community organizations can help youth learn valuable skills and prepare them to become civically engaged adults.
View complete answer
Why youth is important in the future?
Moving to the future, together with our youth When it comes to building our global future, there is no bigger asset than today’s youth – this is the generation that will solve future crises, lead countries, write policies, innovate and preserve or destroy democracies and systems of justice.
- Already today, they are far more engaged than their older age groups.
- As an example, last year Fridays for Future mobilised 1 million youngsters on a single demonstration in Berlin calling the government for climate action.
- This is an unprecedented 12,5% engagement rate within their age group.
- However, despite our societies’ reliance on nurturing a future generation of world leaders, community organisers and innovators, today’s youth in too many parts of the world are being left behind.
Yesterday’s Human Rights Day on 10 December — the day the United Nations General Assembly adopted, in 1948, the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR) –, is a stark reminder that Education, equal opportunities, health and employment are crucial.
View complete answer
What are your roles as the youth of our nation?
The Role of the Youth in Nation Building March 14, 2013 The role of the youths towards the nation building First of all we have that the youths are the period between childhood and adulthood. Secondly, the nation is a country considered as a group of people living in a certain territory under one Government.
Thirdly, we also have to know “Building” here means not masonry constructed, instead the development of the nation, the future of our country. The vision of our country lies in the hands of our youths. They are filled with tremendous and towering ambitions. It will be a great wastage of human resources if these youths are not given an opportunity to exercise their talent.
This beautiful land needs these youths in order for our soil to become a brighter one. The primary role of young people is to get a good education in order to become better citizens of tomorrow. They need to learn skills to do the job that their country’s economy needs.
- They also need to know how to read, write, think, understand, analyse, and discuss the issues their country faces.
- The entire success of the nation depends on the youths.
- However, in order for continuous success to take place; it is the Government’s responsibility to provide the youth with proper facilities for, getting equipped with the knowledge of the modern era.
Youth is the spring of life. It is the age of discovery and dreams. They have the power to transform the nation into a better place. They also have the ability to lead their fellow citizens into the right direction. Youths are fighters. They fight for an identity in society, equality, the homeless, bullying, unemployment, exploitation, poverty and other problems which the world faces today.
- All of them hopes for a world full of opportunities, so great minds can conquer them and become better individuals.
- They need good morals and values to handle conflicts in a positive way.
- We have aspiring doctors, entrepreneurs, scientists, and who knows; maybe the next president.
- Illiteracy is a major around the world.
About ninety percent of the people who reside in villages are illiterate. The reason is their utter ignorance and lack of initiative to lead them in the right direction. Someone has to pull them up. Here also, the young people can be of immense help. The role of the youth is the most important in today’s time.
- They have underplayed themselves in the field of the politics.
- Youth are strong forces in social movements.
- Youths are problem solvers.
- Our nations need them to resolve most of our problems.
- The nation is facing a lot of problems, and I believe that the youths are capable of solving them.
- They just need to be given a chance to prove themselves.
Youths have the power to unite individuals in the six ethnic groups. Racism is an ongoing issue around the world. Individuals are fighting against each other because of the complexion of their skin and the texture of their hair. Religion is another issue, the youths can convince their fellow man to live in peace and love.
All of us are one and we should not allow these little differences to push us away from each other. There also a lot of crime taking place. Women are being killed by their abusive husbands. Person’s homes, businesses, are being broken into. All of this crime and violence needs to stop. The youth once more has the ability to bring about a change in their country.
Youths seems to have the ability to face any challenges and problems. They have a positive influence on their fellow young people. They are able to teach them the positive things in life. The ones whom are destroying their future, they tend to listen to their fellow youths.
They will make them understand the importance of a good education. The wise youths that we have out there should be taken into consideration. Some of them, though educated are unemployed. They should be given an opportunity to expose their intelligence to the world and make themselves into someone. Some organisations and other firm should assist the youths; so they can make our land a great and educated one.
They will make a huge difference in society and the entire world. The youths are our life and nation. They will make our country proud. The country will be recognized. The youths just need the support from their fellow citizens and they will perform their duties.
In conclusion, the role of the youth in the nation building is crucial. They are problem solvers, have a positive influence on other young people and the nation, and are extremely ambitious. They have the ability to create an identity for themselves and move the nation forward. However, they will not be able to do this without the support of their Government and fellow youths.
So the youths can make their beautiful land flourish and shine in success. : The Role of the Youth in Nation Building
View complete answer
What defines a youth?
The United Nations, for statistical. purposes, defines ‘youth’, as those. persons between the ages of 15 and 24. years, without prejudice to other. definitions by Member States.
View complete answer
What are the six importance of youth empowerment?
Youth empowerment programs – There are various types of empowerment programs across the globe that empower youth through many different tactics and programs. Programs can operate in a variety of settings. The majority of programs operate in more than one setting, which may be a key factor in their success.
- The beneficial outcomes to youth empowerment programs are improved social skills, improved behavior, increased academic achievement, increased self-esteem and increased self-efficacy.
- There are programs are aimed at just empowering women and young girls.
- Regardless of specific goals or methods, empowering effects include improving women’s wellbeing, self-esteem, and self-efficacy, and enhancing social status by teaching technical and organizational skills.
Other youth empowerment programs are focused on poverty alleviation, Living standards are for those living in poverty are declining causing forms of deprivation as it relates to food, resources and education. Programs aimed at empowering poor youth, work toward livelihood protection or livelihood promotion.
There are also empowerment movements that use the social action model, aiming for disadvantaged people to become empowered, organized, and educated so that they may create change. These programs advocate for constructive confrontations to enhance the social power of people who are considered disadvantaged.
Another model is the 5C’s model that focuses on emphasizing competence, confidence, connection, character and caring. A sixth C of contribution to society was later added. This model focuses primarily on engagement as a key marker of positive youth development, emphasizing the need to foster initiative.
- Youth-adult partnerships are another type of empowerment method used around the world.
- This method has been defined as a developmental process and a community practice.
- The partnership involves people of different ages working together on community issues over a period of time.
- The method emphasizes reciprocity among adults and youth with a focus on shared decision making and reflective learning.
The concept of shared control is key for empowering youth.It is the courage to do good things. Youth empowerment has also been used as a framework to prevent and reduce youth violence. Research shows that these youth empowerment programs can improve conflict avoidance and resolution skills, increase group leadership skills, and civic efficacy and improve ethnic identity and reduce racial conflict.
View complete answer
How can education empower youth?
Summarizing The Role Of Education In Empowerment Of Today’s Youth – Education plays a significant role in the empowerment of young people in all income brackets, from poverty-stricken to affluent. Education can open up better economic opportunities for them, improve the quality of their lives, and empower them to make the world a better place for others in their sphere of influence.
View complete answer
What is the purpose of the empowerment of youth?
At the core of youth empowerment is the belief that young people are capable of incredible things. When young people have exposure to inspiring ideas and opportunities and the tools to build their confidence – they can take on anything and everything.
- An empowered young person recognizes their capabilities, self-determination and worth.
- They feel comfortable trying new things.
- They have the confidence to take risks and are aware that failure is a step toward progress, not a sign to give up.
- They don’t use the opinions of others as their guideposts in life.
They stand up for their values. And they know they have built a foundation of self-empowerment to rely on in times of struggle or when they are feeling lost and need to recalibrate. Youth empowerment is incredibly important – it gives kids and teens the courage to believe in themselves, to not be swayed by the opinions of others, and to go after their dreams.
While some kids and teens are born with an innate sense of “what if” and the courage to act on it, most look to the world around them to gain the ideas, excitement and skills to explore their potential and test the waters of their capabilities. Encouragement and opportunities go a long way in helping a kid or teen come out of their shell and take on new experiences, and a caring mentor – parent, caregiver, teacher or youth development provider – can be a powerful ally in youth empowerment.
Here are a few ways you can help empower a young person in your life: Help kids and teens explore their interests and potential. Getting curious is the first step to feeling empowered. Read books and watch movies together about a variety of pursuits and careers and see where your kid’s interests are.
- Ask questions like “Can you see yourself doing something like this?” When they take on a hobby, explore different ways they can build on this interest and deepen confidence in their abilities.
- Give them the space and trust to practice autonomy.
- Ids and teens are natural contributors, but often don’t feel adults expect them to do things well or participate at all.
Offer safe, supportive opportunities for your kid to be autonomous and make clear your expectations for their contributions – whether that’s a toddler learning to take their plate to the dishwasher or empowering a teenager to decorate their own space.
Speak with honesty. Knowledge is power, and when we are open, direct and honest with young people, this not only helps expand their understanding of the world around them, but it builds their own self-awareness. Equipped with information to be successful, they are more likely to see the big picture and make smarter decisions, while not sweating the small stuff.
Trust their ability as leaders. From working on school projects to managing a household chore to leading community service events, in youth-led efforts, let young people own the trajectory of the assignment, from planning to execution. You can always be a safety net for when they make mistakes or need to be redirected but give them the space to try it their way first.
- Afterwards, ask for their feedback on what went right and what could be improved.
- When youth are empowered, they feel confident and capable.
- They become active contributors and collaborators, excited to explore their impact on the world around them.
- Boys & Girls Clubs’ caring mentors and life-enhancing programs empower millions of young people each year.
Learn how to get involved with Boys & Girls Clubs of America. Boys & Girls Clubs of America provides mentorship, programs and meaningful life experiences that boost youth self-esteem, build confidence and contribute to overall positive and healthy wellbeing.
View complete answer
What is the role of the youth in the Philippines?
|Pambansang Komisyon sa Kabataan|
|Formed||June 30, 1995|
|Jurisdiction||Government of the Philippines|
|Headquarters||3rd Floor West Insula Building, West Avenue, Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines|
|Annual budget||₱132.46 million (2021)|
|Parent agency||Department of the Interior and Local Government|
The National Youth Commission ( Filipino : Pambansang Komisyon sa Kabataan ), also known as the NYC, is a government agency in the Philippines that specifically addresses issues surrounding the Filipino youth, It was founded on June 30, 1995, via Republic Act 8044 or the “Youth in Nation-Building Act of 1995”.
- The NYC is the Philippine government’s sole policy-making body on youth affairs, but also coordinates and implements programs designed to respond to and raise awareness on youth issues.
- Its mandate is enshrined in the 1987 Philippine Constitution: “The State recognizes the vital role of the youth in nation-building and shall promote and protect their physical, moral, spiritual, intellectual and social well-being.
It shall inculcate in the youth patriotism and nationalism; and encourage their involvement in public and civic affairs.”
View complete answer
What is the most important skill for a youth?
All youth need to develop a set of core life skills to manage school, work, outside interests, and social relationships successfully. From the perspective of brain development, these skills include planning, focus, self-control, awareness, and flexibility—also known as “executive function” and “self-regulation” skills.
No one is born with these skills, but everyone can learn them through practice. We know that early childhood is a critical time for the brain, when connections are being made that become the foundation for a child’s future health, learning, and behavior. Adolescence is also a vital “window of opportunity” for building core life skills—and for practitioners to provide support.
This guide for practitioners who work with adolescents explains the science behind the core life skills that youth need, what affects the development of these skills, and how practitioners can help, including:
5 Ways to Help Youth Build Their Core Life Skills How Stress Affects Developing Core Life Skills 5 Ways to Deliver Services That Reduce Stress
For more on adolescent development:
Understanding the Adolescent Brain series by the State of Washington Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction The Adolescent Brain: A second window of opportunity – A Compendium by the UN Children’s Fund The Center on the Developing Adolescent
What is the main role of youth in terms of protecting the environment?
7 Ways In Which Youth Can Protect The Environment Our planet is our home, the place that sustains us; but are we living in harmony with nature? It seems like we humans have embraced a path of self-destruction, destroying the very home that shelters us.
- From rising carbon emissions, to deforestation and land degradation, anthropogenic activities are having detrimental effects on our ecosystems and environmental biodiversity.
- Not many are aware that the United Nations General Assembly had declared the period of 2011-2020, as the “Decade for Biodiversity”.
We are in the final period of this crucial decade, and despite several strategic plans and initiatives to mobilize people at different levels, we are miles behind in achieving the stipulated targets. The negative trends in biodiversity and ecosystems conservation, indicate that we need to do a lot more.
- As teenagers, sometimes we feel helpless and powerless, unable to take action, or do things that really matter to us, since governments and large corporations are the ones taking vital decisions.
- While major changes are only possible if countries and corporations alter their policies and actions, we as individuals also have the potential to make a difference, whether through small actions, or larger initiatives.
Let’s not forget that consumers dictate markets, and they can significantly impact the way goods are produced and traded if they decide to change their consumption habits. Here are some ways in which you can take control of your future, and protect our environment and ecosystems: 1.
- Start Your Own Initiative or Volunteer With Environmental Organizations Whether it’s something small like starting a community clean-up group, or building a large social organization with significant reach and impact, taking initiatives for environmental conservation can go a long way.
- There are many successful youth-led environmental organizations and NGO’s across the globe, that are leading by example today.
However, if you’re not up to it, you can also make an impact on the environment by getting involved with local non-profits and assisting the environmental community groups. There are several ways in which you can get involved, from running online awareness campaigns, to offering practical help like beach clean-ups, and fundraising events.2.
- Reduce/Recycle Paper What do you do with your old textbooks and novels that are not in use? Why not donate them to juniors, or kids in your neighborhood, or send them across to countries where children have little to no access to educational resources.
- While books aren’t doing any harm sitting on a bookshelf, why not save resources by putting them to reuse? Similarly recycling unwanted paper will reduce the raw material demand for paper production, thus conserving trees and forest ecosystems.
From online assignments, to writing e-exams, thanks to the advent of technology, paper isn’t something that is necessary anymore. By making use of smart technologies that are available today, we can effortlessly shift away from paper-based activities, at all levels.3.
- Recycle More Often Recycling is a simple, yet effective way of conserving resources and reducing your individual carbon footprint.
- Rather than throwing everything in the trash, separate your plastic, paper, and metal waste, and deposit it in a recycling bin.
- Recycling helps reduce landfill pollution, raw materials and fossil fuel consumption, and generates a circular economy.4.
Save Resources Did you know that only 0.03% of the 70% of water available to us is freshwater? That’s why, saving water is so important for freshwater ecosystems. By doing simple things like taking shorter showers, avoiding small clothes washes, and turning your taps off while brushing, you can save gallons of water! Similarly, it’s important to be mindful of your electricity consumption, and make adaptations so that you can reduce the demand for energy production and thereby preserve fossil fuel resources.
- While public and private entities plan the transition to sustainable alternatives, by doing our bit at homes and offices, we can reduce fossil fuel dependency.5.
- Buy Sustainable Products Plastic is one of the most significant contributors to soil and marine pollution, endangering both the land and marine life.
Plastic isn’t biodegradable, and is often consumed by animals who mistake it as food. When buying a product, be aware of its environmental impact and disposal after use. Companies are now being questioned on their ecological footprint, and changing consumer habits are compelling them to become more sustainable.
There are several sustainable brands available today, and it is easier to find out about the products origin, materials and recyclability. When you’re stocking up on school or office supplies like folders and pens, or buying toys and home accessories, try to look for more eco-friendly alternatives that can replace plastic.
For example, some of us use so much plastic from buying bottled water every day, when buying your own reusable water bottle is not only cheaper, but also much better for the environment. Also, buying local products and produce is a great way to minimize carbon footprint, as goods don’t have to travel longer distances and consume more fuel for transportation.
- Do some research and find out about the local eco-stores and farms in your area.
- Supporting small businesses is also great for the local economy because you’re sustaining the economic activity and job creation in your area.6.
- Decrease Meat & Dairy Consumption Methane is one of the most potent greenhouse gases that contributes to global warming.
With increasing demand for meat, the number of live-stock farms has gone up significantly over the last few decades. As livestock release large amounts of methane into the atmosphere, excessive meat and dairy consumption has detrimental effects on our climate.
Additionally, unsustainable dairy and cattle farming leads to the destruction of ecologically important areas such as wetlands and forests. Deforestation required to house animals like cows and chickens are damaging habitats and natural ecosystems, where hundreds of species depend on each other for survival.
Thus, the only way we can prevent more damage is by being responsible, and eating less meat and dairy products.7. Only Buy What You Need Lastly, think about your purchasing habits. Do you buy too many products? Can you do without some of the things that you often buy? Are you being a responsible consumer? Simply buying more because of tempting offers or discounts will actually cost us and the environment more.
View complete answer