Online Education System Benefits And How To Improve?
Online Education: Benefits and how we can improve it further. “Online education has been a blessing in disguise for the entire humanity. Irrespective of the age group, it has proved to be a boon for the entire education system. Being a teacher for 17 years, I have observed that this new normal way of imparting education has given wings to many -many shy, introvert and submissive students, as they are studying from the safe comfort of their houses in the company of their parents or guardians.
- If used to its full potential, online education can prove to be more effective than face to face teaching.Though, if we talk about the current situation, it had proved out to be more involving, full of fun and created to fit almost anyone’s schedule.
- Moreover, it has broken the daily monotony of regular time- table in which a student was just like a machine following the instructions and participating half -heartedly(sounds odd but a fact).Since the child is the centre of the education system and the aim of the education system is to prepare the student to survive as well as thrive in his life, we must adopt the learning strategies as per the need of the upcoming times.
The online education caters to almost all the need of the skills required in 21st century.Moreover, it is the weapon through which we can change the world of education for a 21st century kid.Various benefits can be listed as follows:1. It has infinite number of ways of teaching and learning outside the traditional classrooms and stay safe from any infection or any sort of disease.2.
It has also given an opportunity to the students to understand their families more closely, enjoy his childhood, know his roots and attend the online classes from anywhere with a good internet access. No education is worth without knowing or discovering oneself or one’s roots. So, online teaching learning is the solution to this old problem too, where students were only rote learners and not actually knowing their originality or reason of existence.3.
This system of education has given the students golden chances to re- connect with the teaching material shared by the teacher as per their understanding or learning pace. Every student is a different learner. In a traditional classroom his or her individuality is often ignored because of the so called traditional methods adopted by the traditional teachers, who try to teach in a way as they studied during their school years.
They feel proud in adopting the proven principles of teaching and carrying the legacy of silent classrooms; where a child is expected not to disturb the class and listen carefully; where only the teacher is speaker and the student is the passive listener; irrespective of the fact that the student is holding which kind on intelligence, he/she is expected to learn to the best and score full marks.
This dogma has become a burden for the young innocent generation who has to survive and thrive in 21st century but are being taught in a 19th century style because of various reasons. On the contrary, online learning and teaching has a rich learning environment with much more flexibility than a traditional classroom.
Atleast, it has visuals with which the child can connect and understand well.4. Conduction of online activities has become very effective. These activities boost the confidence of students and make it possible for them to attend any class training, competition or other activities with ease and gain experience together with learning.
A child sitting in Uttarakhand can take the benefit of teaching strategy of a tutor sitting in Kerala. Only possible because of online mode. In short, it has removed all the barriers of distance and time.5. Online mode of learning is less threatening too for any age group.6.
It helps the students to practice time management, become highly motivated and focus on the need of the class, of course with the help of the guardians and teachers. Whereas the students who lack these skills can face challenges but solutions can always be found for them too.How Online teaching can be improved further:1.
Firstly we need to build a team of teachers who should be aware about 21st century skills, why do these skills matter and how we can implement 21st century learning strategies into curriculum, assessment and teaching. Mandatory train9ng sessions must be conducted and implementation of strategies must be ensured.2.
- Orientation sessions for the parents will be of great help in this kind of teaching learning strategy.
- The plan can be discussed and they can help in bridging the gap for better learning experience.3.
- The issue of lacking of inter personal communication during an online class can be sorted out by one to one interaction with the teacher individually in person via phone or visiting the school physically as and when required.
The schools must provide one to one support to the students as scaffolding is an important while helping the student to master new tasks.4. For subject like Mathematics the students can be given combined (offline+ online)sessions as per requirement. More emphasis should be given on practical application of every subject.5.
- For giving a discussion rich, well- rounded learning experience like that of a traditional classroom there must be separate discussion sessions with students by the subject teachers.6.
- The schools must adopt proper modes and methods of flowing information to the learners as students indirectly learn from the way the school management works and makes them feel to be part of the organization.7.
The teachers teaching online must understand and adjust to the needs of the learners and course completion should not be the ultimate aim of any education system. The teachers have to be empathetic and so should be the management who thinks that online teaching learning is a very easy task.
The demand of the online teaching can be understood with the fact that a teacher need to cater to the requirement of a student sitting at distance may not connect to what was being explained in a live session due to various reasons.This mode of teaching learning process tests the emotional intelligence of every level of hierarchy and as it is commonly said that in education we need to be role models and teach by example.8.
Online learning no doubt causes a little amount of stress but for reducing it and the effects of screen exposure all the schools must organize regular yoga classes and musical activities. It will keep the essence of learning intact and add to the strength of mind body and soul.
- If we will keep yoga as an eternal part of our education system there will be no need for organizing separate sessions on mindfulness in future life as it will be in mind and soul of every student from the very beginning.
- They will learn about their well being and power of their body.
- Conclusion: Every coin has two sides and same is with online learning and teaching too.
All said and done, the generation we are dealing with is a gadget freak generation and we need to teach them how to balance their real life together with technology. They are lucky to be born in 21st century and to have an option of online learning. It might be good for some bad for few and the best for many but the deciding criteria should only be based on the following question:What are we preparing our future generation for?Let’s blend offline and online learning and adopt new innovative measures to create interest in today’s learners and give them wings to fly together with roots to stand firm.
- Note: This article is completely the creation of the author.
- The author is not against regular classrooms but she has a feeling that the current situation requires us to adopt modes by which we can protect our students from the threat of any disease or infection.
- They are not testing kits.
- Save their life, protect their childhood and nurture their learning.
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed in this post are the personal views of the author. They do not necessarily reflect the views of Momspresso.com. Any omissions or errors are the author’s and Momspresso does not assume any liability or responsibility for them.
View complete answer
- 1 How can we improve education in schools?
- 2 Why online education is the future?
How can we improve online learning in this pandemic?
3. Monitoring students’ engagement and progress in lessons – Ideas on how to monitor students’ engagement and progress over time include the following:
Assess student learning, Create assignments, quizzes, polls, and snapshots in classes to track students’ progress. Personalize learning experiences, Create small groups within classes to foster student collaboration and discussion. Reward positive student behaviour. Create personalized badges online and award them to students to post on their profiles so that they can become more motivated by seeing and displaying these rewards.
How can we improve quality of education?
Some of the components that are focus on the scope of education include improving the learning environment, focusing on quality teaching practices through teacher and supervisor training programs, and developing textbooks for each student become one of the supporters and references in formulating various
View complete answer
How is online learning effective?
1. Students Gain More Knowledge Than In Standard Classes – According to IBM, students in online learning courses incorporating multimedia content learn five times more material than students in traditional face-to-face classes. Because online courses provide students with full control over their studies, they can work at their own pace.
View complete answer
How can we improve education in schools?
Teacher training – This country has a number of dedicated and good teachers but the saddest thing is that they always get very little training to teach. However, teacher training is another key of improving the education system of India. Proper training does not only explain that the teachers are updated with the changes of time but it also develops the country’s education system.
View complete answer
Why online education is the future?
5 Reasons why online learning will be the future of education in India Gaurav has over 18 years of experience in the field of analytics and has worked across multiple verticals including financial services, retail, FMCG, telecom, pharmaceuticals and leisure industries.
- His experience spans leading companies like Capital One Financial Corporation, GE Capital, Symphony Marketing Solutions and Genpact LLC.
- A graduate of IIM Bangalore, Gaurav has been rated as one of the “Top Analytics Academicians in India” by the Analytics India Magazine.
- An active and leading member of the analytics community, he has been a speaker and panellist at several events and his thought leadership articles are widely followed on LinkedIn and other media.
Established in 2011, with the vision to empower the industry & professionals with cutting-edge training in Data Science, Jigsaw Academy has evolved as a leading training provider across Emerging Technologies. An investee company of Manipal Global Education Services (MaGE), Jigsaw Academy has shaped the careers of 50,000+ students, spread in over 30 countries and has collaborated with many Fortune 500 companies, across the world.
Through strategic partnerships with illustrious institutions such as the University of Chicago (USA) and the Indian Institute of Management, Indore (IIM Indore), Jigsaw Academy provides the best-in-class programmes across emerging domains such as Machine Learning and Business Analytics, among others.
Over the last few years, online learning has been recognized at par with traditional classroom learning and has opened new windows of opportunities for everyone. Thanks to the internet, one can get access to quality education from anywhere in the world.
From schools and colleges to universities that offer certification courses, online learning is making way for easy and flexible access to learning. As long as one has access to a laptop or smartphone connected to the internet, it is possible to access learning as desired. The Covid-19 pandemic led to campus shutdowns that opened more opportunities for online learning, as educational institutions and universities across the world are giving access to high-quality education with the help of cutting-edge technology.
Online learning has not only benefited learners, but has also enabled educators in using various resources and tools to which they may not have access otherwise. According to Research and Markets, by 2026, the global e-learning industry is projected to reach USD 336.98 billion.
- Augmented reality and virtual reality technologies will become one of the biggest innovators of online learning.
- Here are some of the reasons why online learning is the future of education in India.
- Online learning enables flexibility for the learner and the educator.
- Learners can attend classes at any given time.
Online learning becomes crucial especially for working professionals, who want to balance work life and academics. Working professionals can pursue learning after their work timings, as online learning gives access to that flexibility. Learners can also study at their own pace, schedule classes as per their convenience and opt to re-take recorded sessions in case of any doubts or clarifications.
- Online learning has predominantly broken the barrier of travelling to universities or other educational institutions to attend classes.
- Learners need not travel or follow a strict schedule, that is an integral part of traditional classroom learning.
- With the help of a laptop or smartphone with an internet connection, students can attend classes from any part of the world.
Not only that, the cost-effective nature of online education makes it more desirable for learners these days. Students can save the cost of travelling to college and buying books. E-books and other learning materials are usually available for free online and can be easily accessed.
Customised learning experience and wide range of programmes
Customised learning is one of the greatest boons that online education offers. Students can get access to various learning materials such as photos, videos and e-books to refer from. The flexibility in online classes has enabled better student-teacher interaction.
Unique learning experience
The online learning system offers better learning experience where classes are delivered through artificial intelligence and virtual reality, which will become the highest innovators in the industry. Online learning includes tools like Learning management system (LMS), that serves as a virtual classroom, where teachers and students can interact with each other.
Acquiring in-demand skill set
Online learning helps improve one’s time management skills, especially among working professionals, who balance their corporate deadlines and academics. Online classes instil a sense of responsibility in students, as they need to take classes timely in order to complete their course smoothly.
Collaboration is an integral part of online learning, wherein learners interact with various people, which becomes a part of their learning process. This also helps in network building. As students constantly interact with peers even in an online setting, it helps improve one’s communication skills to a great lev.
Students also develop problem solving skills as they are challenged to tackle each problem differently. Needless to say, the popularity of online learning systems is only growing with time, and its benefits have made it a great alternative to traditional learning.
View complete answer
What are the benefits of online learning and face to face learning?
Advantages of Face-to-Face Education – Before the pandemic, face-to-face education was the standard learning setup for most academic institutions in the country. Here are some of the advantages of learning in a classroom:
You may feel more comfortable learning in a classroom setup, From the beginning, most students have been accustomed to going to school to study. The setup is familiar and therefore, comforting. You can easily distinguish being on ‘school’ mode and ‘out-of-school’ mode simply by leaving the campus after all.
You can understand better from ‘real world’ examples and stories from classmates and teachers, In face-to-face education, you learn new concepts and skills alongside other students in real life. It’s easier to empathize and learn from one another because you’re on the same learning journey.
You have the opportunity to learn from other students, In a traditional learning setup, you have the chance to network and bond with other students. This helps build camaraderie, and in turn, have better connections with people from different backgrounds.
You can concentrate better in a classroom. In face-to-face education, there are less distractions. You’re required to pay attention to your teacher or school work at a certain period of time. In turn, you’ll be able to concentrate harder on learning the lessons at hand.
You can collaborate with others easily. Not all school work is done individually. There are times wherein you have to work with other students to accomplish projects or assignments. In a traditional learning setup, it’s easier to work with other people. You’ll be able to keep tabs on one another. At the same time, you can share ideas in a dynamic manner.
What types of students benefit from online learning?
4. Convenience and flexibility – Between work, school, social obligations, and familial responsibilities, people have become far too over-scheduled, From the moment they wake up until they return to bed, it’s go, go, go. Over-scheduling can have negative consequences.
If you don’t have time to decompress, relax, and enjoy life, you start resenting every activity in which you participate. Make no mistake: You should take online classes seriously. They’re designed to help you learn new skills, so you must give them your full attention. However, they allow you to schedule your learning at your own convenience.
Maybe you don’t have a spare minute in the morning or afternoon, but you can carve out an hour-long window each evening for your course. Alternatively, maybe you need to split up your study sessions. For example, SE Ranking SEO Academy used a bite-sized learning approach in their first course.
It is a great solution for those who have little spare time and need flexible learning. While a physical course requires you to stay in the classroom for a set period of time, distance learning gives you more flexibility. You might study or review course materials for an hour in the morning, then again for another hour at night.
Either way, one of the many benefits of online learning is that the choice is entirely yours.
View complete answer
What are your plans to improve your learning style during this time of pandemic?
Seven Tips for Adjusting Your Study Habits During COVID-19 Things may feel out-of-control right now. You may be facing a lot of unknowns and disruptions. Try to be patient with yourself, your classmates, and your instructors during this time. Making a plan and adjusting your studying may help you feel a little sense of control.
Whether or not your class will continue to meet virtually at the regularly scheduled time. If not, are there any new parts of the course you will now need to track in place of your class time, such as a discussion board? Are assignments changing? Are there new due dates? Will any quizzes or exams be done online? What should you do if you need help? Does the instructor have virtual office hours? When and on what platform? Does the course have an online forum for asking questions?
2. Avoid multitasking. If you do more work on your own and your time is less structured, you might be more tempted to multitask. Research shows that few people can succeed at doing multiple things at once or can switch between tasks quickly. Consider working on a task for 25 minutes, then rewarding yourself with a 5-minute break.
Find out how to ask questions. Is there a chat feature? A discussion forum? Close distracting apps and tabs to avoid multitasking. Continue to take notes as you would if you were there in person. Many studies show that notetaking builds the recall of material and helps to increase test scores. Watch recordings at normal speed. Watching at faster speeds can decrease retention and result in lower test scores.
4. Set a schedule. If you find your day lacking structure, setting a schedule for yourself can keep you on task and help you stay motivated. If you don’t already keep a weekly or daily calendar, try using one. Include time for movement, getting outside, and self-care.
- If you don’t like sticking to a schedule, try keeping a general to-do list and just make note of important due dates on your calendar.
- You can use a reminders app on your phone to remind you when assignments are due or when you should get up and get some fresh air.5.
- Find what works for you.
- Everyone has different study habits and methods for retaining information.
Maybe you need to study in a chair, rather than on your bed or couch. Maybe you need to move to a new spot when you change tasks. Do you need background noise? How about a white noise app? If you always study in groups, try a virtual or phone-based study session with your peers.6.
- Working with a group or project team.
- Remote collaboration will look a little different, but it is possible.
- Try not to procrastinate.
- That group project may be out-of-sight, out-of-mind if you aren’t seeing your group members regularly.
- Try to set up virtual meetings on a recurring basis and take notes on a shared document so you can all stay on the same page.7.
Stay connected and engaged. Even during social distancing, connecting with family and friends virtually can be more important than ever. Consider:
Scheduling video calls with family and friends. Talking to loved ones can be really helpful when you feel stressed or nervous about something. Taking a break to laugh is also important. Attend virtual office hours or study groups so that you can stay up on your coursework.
For more helpful tips and resources on navigating the transition to virtual education and admissions, check out some of the recommended blog posts below! : Seven Tips for Adjusting Your Study Habits During COVID-19
View complete answer