What Are The Benefits Of Physical Education?
29 Jan 5 Hidden Benefits of Physical Education – Posted at 01:00h in Education, Health Trends Everyone knows that Physical Education (PE) class is great for kids. It helps improve their physical fitness, increases their motor skill development, and encourages daily exercise.
- But, what about the hidden benefits? PE is much more than just exercise! In fact, Dr.
- John Ratey, associate clinical professor of psychiatry at Harvard University, says, “Exercise is like Miracle-Gro for the brain.” Including it in a daily routine has repeatedly been shown to build brain cells and to improve academics.
Elevating the heart rate can lift mood, beat stress, and sharpen intellect. Unfortunately though, The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) says, “physical education is in decline across all world regions.” In fact, in the United States, the average school’s budget for PE is a meager $764 per year, according to the Society for Health and Physical Educators,
- Why is the budget so low when the benefits are so great? In addition to providing great exercise and developing motor skills, here are 5 hidden benefits of PE! Inspires Self-Discipline Kids who have access to high-quality PE programs are taught life skills that can be used forever.
- Implementing good habits and conditioning early in life is a lot easier than “teaching an old dog new tricks.” For example, think of a middle school student participating in a teaching unit based on the fundamentals of running.
The student finds that over the course of a month, their mile time decreased by three minutes and they no longer needed to walk to take breaks. The student may become an avid walker or runner, inspired by running around a school track! Improves Peer Relationships The team-building process enhances communication skills and the skills required to get along and cooperate with students of varying backgrounds and personalities.
Additionally, physical education can be a major force in helping children to successfully socialize with others and provides an environment to learn positive people skills. Not every child has the opportunity to be on a team outside of school. So being on a volleyball or softball team during a PE class creates the opportunity to work together, cheer on teammates, and share the thrill of victory or the agony of defeat with classmates.
Provides Stress Relief Student stress levels are at an all-time high. Involvement in sports, recreational activities, or other forms of physical fitness provide a proven method of stress relief and act as an outlet for releasing tension and anxiety. It is an established scientific fact that regular exercise creates and releases serotonin which in turn helps alleviate stress, improves mood, and generally makes you feel better! Many students may only exercise in PE class, making this time even more important! Teaches Goal Setting When students set goals and monitor their fitness along the way, they assume more responsibility for their own health.
They also gain a strong sense of competence when they recognize improvements, so their motivation goes up. For instance, PE students often participate in jump roping. Having these students learn the fundamentals, and then increase their jump roping endurance by minute intervals can teach a student that setting reasonable goals can be achieved through perseverance and a little sweat! Helps Students Achieve Better Grades The research and evidence are overwhelming, proving that kids who are active, are better students.
Period. Check out these 15 studies conducted by universities such as Dartmouth and the American Academy of Pediatrics. The Dartmouth study suggests that 12 minutes of exercise can actually improve reading comprehension! Physical education is an integral part of the total education of every child from kindergarten through college.
View complete answer
What are the benefits of physical education essay?
Long Essay on Physical Education 500 Words in English – Long Essay on Physical Education is usually given to classes 7, 8, 9, and 10. In modern times, it is widely known that exercising regularly keeps one away from diseases and chronic illness. Therefore, the majority of the schools have included physical education in their curriculum.
- Besides, physical education has been given huge importance in schools and colleges to promote the stability of health and mind of the students.
- Physical education involves training the body for enhanced development of the body and mind.
- Physical activities are useful for individuals to improve their motor and cognitive skills through frequent and vigorous exercises, activities, athletics, and so on.
Witnessing the numerous advantages of physical education on the human body and its influence on people’s lives, it is tough to ignore its importance. Physical education assists the students in learning the importance of having a stable body and mind. The students also learn the benefits of frequent fitness exercises in their everyday schedule.
- Since it results in a cheerful and excited mood, it is quite helpful for the children to stay fit, build strength in their muscles and enhance their stamina.
- Several types of research show that the confidence level of the students involved in everyday physical activities is high.
- Participating regularly in sports, either team or solo can be beneficial for the growth of an individual’s character.
Physical education acts as a motivation that drives students to take part in such activities and enjoy winning. It also teaches the students to take losses optimistically. Thus, leading to the progression of the entire personality and character of an individual.
By encouraging the students to take part in several activities like sports, most team sports, physical education helps them improve their team skills. The students realize the advantage and importance of working as a part of the team. It also teaches them how to work cooperatively to obtain a specific objective.
Therefore, this helps to offer the students with better communication skills and the skill to mix up with people easily. Besides, it is known that the addition of physical education in schools has helped to bring out emotionally stability in students.
- So, the physical education instructors can play a vital role in helping the students to make up accurate decisions in life by pushing them towards a healthy routine.
- Several decisions taken up by the students in their early times tend to make a huge difference in their future or health emotionally.
- Physical education helps people to acquire a higher level of understanding regarding several aspects of one’s health.
In the present world, the increase in the rates of diseases likes, bulimia, anaemia, obesity, diabetes, etc. are high amongst the younger generation. Therefore, students learn to adopt a better diet through physical education. They learn to add nutrients and healthy foods in their diet rather than junk foods.
- Since through physical education, the students learn the demerits of unhealthy foods and their harmful effects.
- The importance of cleanliness and hygiene is also highlighted through physical education.
- The students get to learn about the health benefits that they can achieve through proper personal hygiene.
It also helps the students relax and learn to relieve excess stress.
View complete answer
What are the four main physical benefits?
Becoming and staying physically fit is an important part of achieving optimal health. A well-rounded exercise program can improve your health in a number of ways. It promotes weight loss, strengthens muscles and bones, keeps the heart and lungs strong, and helps to protect against chronic disease.
- There are four essential elements of physical fitness: cardiorespiratory endurance, muscular strength and endurance, flexibility, and maintaining a healthful body composition.
- Each component offers specific health benefits, but optimal health requires some degree of balance between all four.
- Some forms of exercise confer multiple benefits, which can help you to balance the different elements of physical fitness.
For example, riding a bicycle for thirty minutes or more not only builds cardiorespiratory endurance, it also improves muscle strength and muscle endurance. Some forms of yoga can also build muscle strength and endurance, along with flexibility. However, meeting fitness standards in all four categories generally requires incorporating a range of activities into your regular routine.
View complete answer
What is the importance of physical education in our life?
Psychological Benefits – It is no secret that many teenagers go through phases where they struggle with self-body image issues, Weight gain can be a major issue with young people physically speaking and psychologically, which can contribute to mental health issues.
Regular exercise achieved in physical education classes can combat this issue. Exercise also has other benefits to promote mental health, such as reduced stress, improved mood, better self-esteem, and increased mental alertness. All of these benefit students in highly positive ways. In an era when students are struggling with mental health at an alarming rate, physical education classes can certainly help combat this major issue.
The pandemic has caused so many students and adults issues in coping with mitigations and government mandates. Teens already had a high rate of mental health problems before the pandemic. Still, the recent COVID-19 pandemic strategies have worsened existing mental issues among students and have created brand new ones in others.
View complete answer
What are the benefits of PE and sports?
3. Improve student performance in academics – Research shows that healthy activity helps strengthen and stimulate a young person’s mind. Studies indicate increased fitness and sports activities leads to improved academics and attention spans. Physical education also helps students build self-discipline and personal goal-setting.
View complete answer
What is the importance of physical education in the life of a student?
BIS Abu Dhabi Physical Education develops students’ competence and confidence to take part in a range of physical activities that become a central part of their lives, both in and out of school. As such, the need for and importance of physical education in school curriculum cannot be stressed enough.
View complete answer