What Are The Benefits Of Health Education?
Health Education in Schools School-based health education helps adolescents acquire functional health knowledge, and strengthens attitudes, beliefs, and practice skills needed to adopt and maintain healthy behaviors throughout their lives. Schools can play a critical role in reducing adolescent health risks through the delivery of effective health education.1-3 The specific content and skills addressed in health education, including sexual health and other related topic areas (e.g., violence prevention, mental and emotional health, food and nutrition), are commonly organized into a course of study or program and often summarized in a curriculum framework.
View complete answer
- 0.1 What is the importance of being aware and health educated?
- 0.2 What is the main importance of health education?
- 0.3 What are the benefits of health awareness?
- 0.4 What are the 6 general principles of health education?
- 0.5 What are the benefits of good health answer?
- 1 What is the benefits of good health and wellness?
What is the importance of being aware and health educated?
The Importance of Health Education – As previously stated, health education promotes a healthy lifestyle and raises awareness about the importance of health. This can be done when professionals take part in educating people on what they can do to have a healthier life.
- Health education doesn’t just happen in schools.
- There are many groups that offer free seminars to rural areas aiming to reach communities so that they can benefit from being informed about health.
- Moreover, there are professionals, especially educators, who take time to study the health needs of the community to give proper intervention.
When citizens are well-informed about the importance of health education, they could have a healthier life. This results in fewer patients in the hospital. Public health centers and hospitals will not be too crowded. There won’t be scarcity of free medicines.
View complete answer
What is the main importance of health education?
Health Education helps individuals to be empowered and communities to live healthier by improving the physical, mental, emotional and social health through increasing their knowledge and influencing their attitudes on caring for their well-being. Hence, to increase the national awareness on major public health issues and to promote a better understanding of the role of health education, yearly every third (3 rd ) week of October is observed as Health Education Week.
- Health education is a social science that aims to promote health and prevent disease through voluntary behavioral change activities.
- It is a combination of biological, environmental, psychological, intellectual, physical, and medical aspects of health focused on helping individuals and communities through self-enhancing skills and activities.
So how important is Health Education in our lives? 1. We can take care of ourselves better The further we know on our health the better we can take care of ourselves. Health Education advocates deeper understanding of our health issues and encourages us to trust on health care educators to stay informed.2.
It helps appreciate the educators Health Education reminds us of the importance of health care educators and the contribution they make to the health of our communities. Educators share critical knowledge that can help us live healthier lives.3. Keeps us informed on our health to stay healthy Health education programs include increasing our knowledge and influences behavior change on physical, mental, emotional and social health for our overall well-being and health 4.
It influences many areas of wellness within the community It impacts many aspects of the community’s wellness including chronic disease awareness and prevention, maternal and infant health, tobacco use and substance abuse, injury and violence prevention, mental and behavioral health, nutrition, exercise and obesity prevention.
View complete answer
What are the benefits of health awareness?
How we’re working to increase awareness – We are building partnerships with patient groups, hospitals and health organisations around the world to increase awareness of diseases such as cancers, hepatitis, tuberculosis, HIV, HPV, cardiovascular disease and diabetes.
- We are also using digital solutions to help with remote diagnosis and train healthcare workers virtually, which is particularly valuable in regions with limited pathology services.
- We support local community partners to run screening, awareness and counselling programmes, and help to empower people with the knowledge to safeguard and manage their own health.
Our websites and newsletters aim to give clear, transparent and relevant information about diseases and the different solutions available to healthcare professionals, caregivers and patients help empower people to seek the care they need. Awareness is essential for prevention, early detection, targeted therapy and is key to ensuring effective treatment.
View complete answer
What are two importance of health education in our lives?
Health education programs help empower individuals and communities to live healthier lives by improving their physical, mental, emotional and social health by increasing their knowledge and influencing their attitudes about caring for their well-being.
View complete answer
What are the 6 general principles of health education?
Basic Principles of Health Education Basic Principles of Health Education In this module, you will learn about the definition of health, health education, and health promotion. This will help you to understand then important components of health.
Personal Views on Health Think about your responses to the following questions:
- What does health mean to you?
- How important is health to you?
- What do you do (if anything) to stay healthy?
- Definition and Concepts of Health
- In the Oxford English Dictionary health is defined as: “the state of being free from sickness, injury, disease, bodily conditions; something indicating good bodily condition.”
- Now stop for a minute and think about someone you think is healthy and someone else who you would consider not to be healthy.
- Look at the definition of health again.
- Is it similar to the what you thought about for a healthy or an unhealthy person?
This definition of health is a widely publicized one. But you may have thought of someone who has a disability or wondered about someone who looks OK but who you know does not exercise. Clearly health is not quite as simple as the definition implies. The concept of health is wide, and the way we define health also depends on individual perception, religious beliefs, cultural values, norms, and social class.
- Generally, there are two different perspectives concerning people’s own definitions of health: a narrow perspective and a broader perspective.1.
- Narrow Perspectives of Health People with a narrow perspective consider health as the absence of disease, disability, or biological dysfunction.
- According to this view, to call someone unhealthy or sick means there should be evidence of a particular illness.
Social, emotional, and psychological factors are not believed to cause unhealthy conditions. This view is narrow and limits the definition of health to the physical and physiological capabilities that are necessary to perform routine tasks. According to this definition, the individual is healthy if all the body parts, cells, tissues, and organ systems are functioning well, and there is no apparent dysfunction of the body.
Using this view, people view the human body in the same say as a computer or mechanical device. When something is wrong, the object is taken to experts who will maintain it. Hence, physicians often focus on treatment and clinical interventions with medication rather than health education to bring about behavior change.
- About two months ago Serena lost her six month old twins. She is grief stricken. She has always been slender, but now she looks very thin. She cannot sleep; she cannot eat, and she doesn’t want to talk to anyone.
- Do you think the view of health you have just read about applies to Serena?
This view of health ignores many of the social and psychological causes of ill health. Serena’s grief is not an illness, but it is certainly affecting her health.2. Broader Perspectives of Health In the previous section you read about a narrow definition of health.
Now this section will help you understand the concept of health in a broader and more holistic way. The most widely used broader definition of health is that within the constitution of the World Health Organization (1948), which defines health as: “Health is not only the absence of infirmity and disease but also a state of physical mental and social well-being.” This classic definition is important, as it identifies the vital components of health.
To more fully understand the meaning of health, it is important to understand each of its individual components.
- Think back to Serena.
- Describe her state of health.
- Serena is mentally distressed. She does not by any means have mental and social well-being.
- Physical Health
- Physical health, which is one of the components of the definition of health, could be defined as the absence of diseases or disability of the body parts. Physical health could be defined as the ability to perform routine tasks without any physical restriction
- To understand physical health, one needs to know what is considered to be physically unhealthy.
- The following examples can help to understand someone who is physically unhealthy:
- A person who has been harmed due to a car accident
- A farmer infected by malaria and unable to do their farming duties
- A person infected by tuberculosis and unable to perform his or her tasks.
According to the WHO definition, do you see any of the above unhealthy examples as healthy? Also think about someone in your community who you would consider to be physically disabled. While both of these people may be restricted in their movement and ability to do routine tasks, they may still be in a state of physical and mental well-being.
- Think about people in the community who are showing behavior that may indicate they are going through a period of mental distress in their lives.
- Or think about Serena again.
- Do you think that everyone in distress shows the same sorts of symptoms?
Sometimes it can be really difficult to tell if people are struggling with mental health issues, but at other times they may show symptoms that suggest a lack of self-awareness or personal identity, or an inability of rational and logical decision-making.
At other times it might be apparent that they are not looking after themselves and are without a proper purpose in their lives. They may be drinking alcohol and have a non-logical response to any request. It may also be noticed that they have an inability to maintain their personal autonomy and are unable to maintain good relationships with people around them.
Social Health The social component of health is considered to be the ability to make and maintain “acceptable” and “proper” interactions and to communicate with other people within the social environment. This component also includes being able to maintain satisfying interpersonal relationships and being able to fulfill a social role.
- Mourning when a close family member dies
- Going to a football game or involvement in a community meeting
- Celebrating traditional cultural events within a community
- Shopping in the market
- Creating and maintaining friendships
In reality, all these events could have a social component and help towards building people’s social view of health. They all involve interacting with others and gaining support, friendship, and in many instances joy from being with other people. The World Health Organization said that health promotion is defined as the process of enabling people to increase control over, and to improve, their health.
The aim of health promotion is to reduce the underlying causes of ill-health so that there is a long-term reduction in many diseases. Summary When broadly defined, health is a state of complete physical, mental, and social well being not merely the absence of disease or infirmity. It contains several different aspects which can include physical and mental health issues often interrelated.
According to this definition, physical, social, and psychological factors all contribute to health. Wellness is then expressed through the integration of the physical, intellectual, emotional, spiritual, social, and environmental components called the Six Dimensions of Health.
View complete answer
What are the key components of health education?
COMPREHENSIVE – The term comprehensive means inclusive, covering completely and broadly, and refers to a broad range of health and education components. Thus CSHPs are a broad set of school-based and community-based components involving a wide range of professionals.
Examples of components include health education, health services, physical education, counseling and psychological services, nutrition and food programs, a healthful and supportive school environment, work-site health promotion for school faculty and staff, and integration of school programs with a wide range of community health and social programs.
These components provide educational, social, and health care interventions assisting students and families in preventing disease, promoting and protecting health, minimizing the complications of health problems, and managing chronic conditions. While comprehensive implies broad and complete coverage, it should be emphasized that programs and services actually delivered at the school site may not provide complete coverage by themselves.
View complete answer
What are the benefits of good health answer?
– A healthy lifestyle can not only help you feel better, but it can also reduce the risk of some diseases, lengthen your lifespan, save you money, and benefit the environment. Your version of a healthy lifestyle is whatever you define it to be. There’s nothing you must or must not do in order to be healthy.
- Identify what makes you feel good and what brings you the greatest happiness.
- Then, start small when you make changes.
- You’re more likely to see success this way, and small successes will snowball into bigger benefits.
- Lastly, if you want help with making any lifestyle changes, talk to your doctor.
- If they can’t directly help you, they may recommend other professionals, like registered dietitians or therapists.
Brittany Risher is a writer, editor, and digital strategist specializing in health and lifestyle content. She’s written for publications including Elemental, Men’s Health, Women’s Health, and Yoga Journal.
View complete answer
What is the benefits of good health and wellness?
Benefits of Wellness Programs By Kate Ranta on Sep 13, 2021 5:00:00 PM Research studies related to indicate that Americans who take good care of themselves and make healthy lifestyle choices are healthier, happier, more productive, miss less work, and have lower healthcare costs.
As a dental insurance broker, part of your role can be encouraging human resources representatives to bring wellness programs into their companies to encourage employees to adopt healthier lifestyles. People today are busy. Very busy. There can be very little time for taking proper care of yourself. Between appointments, meetings and catching up on paperwork—and of course home lives—workers have barely any time to themselves.
Putting an program in place can boost morale, improve health and fitness, and increase productivity in the workplace. Before you can help HR in starting up a wellness program, you first need to help them understand the concept. Wellness is the process of being aware of your actions and making choices that help you lead a healthier lifestyle.
- Emotional – understanding your feelings and coping with stress.
- Occupational – satisfaction in your contributions and feeling appreciated at work.
- Environmental – having respect for the world around you.
- Physical – eating right, exercising and seeking medical attention when necessary.
- Intellectual – having an open mind and expanding your knowledge base.
- Social – creating and being a part of a support network.
- Financial – successfully managing your money.
- Spiritual – finding meaning and purpose through your personal set of values.
It’s important to have a multidimensional wellness program because the divisions can overlap and affect one another. A well-rounded program should include at least physical, intellectual, emotional and environmental wellness. There are many ways companies can implement a wellness program.
- Invest in pedometers for each employee.
- Clean out the vending machine of junk food.
- Offer free health-risk assessments.
- Provide food facts for fast-food chains—and other, more healthy restaurants—within a certain distance of the office.
- Distribute a wellness newsletter.
- Invite a different speaker on different health topics.
- Solicit employee feedback.
Remind your HR reps that no matter how they choose to begin, don’t get discouraged if it’s not met with smiles and cheers. Making lifestyle changes can be difficult for people. Try a few different approaches and see what sticks. The important thing is to get a wellness plan started! : Benefits of Wellness Programs
View complete answer